Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kobe pwnage...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, Mar 19, 2007.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

gotta wub Kobe!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mAslWCctfSM&mode=related&search=

about 2 mins in he makes a reverse layup that, IMO, is easily better than the legendary Dr. J reverse against the Lakers. 3 Spurs guys right there and he threads the needle. Just nasty.

j

2. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

:eek1: :eek1: :eek1: To the hoooooop!!!

I'm a Celtics fan so the Lakers suck the big one :doah: :D !!

But I can't deny the greatness of Kobe :bow: :bow: !

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Jordan still rules supreme.

4. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Did you watch the playoff game where Jordan scored 63 points in regulation time against my Celtics AND STILL LOST :doah: :doah::doah:!!

5. jekbrown

jordan blah blah blah. IMO Kobe is building his resume to be the best shooting guard ever. Kobe had a better outside game at a younger age... and he isn't even 30 yet. If he wants to keep on playing, he has a looot of years ahead of him.

Jordan was kick ass, as much as I hate to admit it tho. It annoys me though that when MJ would get 45 or 50 people would cream their pants... but Kobe throws down 81, 65, 62 (in 3 quarters!!!!) etc and people just shrug and say "MJ was still better". wha?

j

6. thatK30guy

KB has also built a rep for being a rapist, too. :eek1: :D :doah: Uh oh, I just opened a can of worms. :doah:

7. jekbrown

I think we can just leave the off the court stuff off the court for now. lol! MJ might strap a bomb to his chest and carry out a suicide attack tomorow on a bus load of nuns... doesn't mean he wasn't a great player. lol!

j

8. thatK30guy

Good one! :haha: :D

9. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Why Jordan, up until now, is the best of all time: adaptability.

When he started in the pro's he was a much different player than when he left (his game play, how he attacked the rim, when, where, etc), but he was always unstoppable. In his younger years he simply blew past you and dunked it over/under/around your fellow teammates. As he slowed down and got older, he turned into a jumpshot guard with MUCH less power-it-to-the-rim moves and was every bit as successful. Lets see what Kobe does as he gets older, will he be able to evolve his game the way Jordan did?

IMO Kobe, while unbelivably good, is nt the unstoppable force Jordan was. Who held him back? The only time once the Bulls got rolling that he didn't rally himself and his team to win it all was the year he came back like 75 games into the season. Otherwise, there were all those other rival teams and players that came, and went. When Jordan, and Pippen, were determined to win, they simply did. Even with Shaq, Kobe has never had that impact on the entire league year in and year out like MJ did. Maybe some day he will, Kobe has alot more game in him for sure, but up till now he hasn't surpassed Jordan in my eyes.

Of course, I like to ignore the Charlotte era. :D

With that said, this thread is about Kobe Bryant, and to him I give this. :bow:

10. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

For curiosity, it would be interesting to compare Jordan and Kobes' stats in their first five seasons.

That would be an excellent gauge of their performance. It wouldn't be the entire story, but a good measuring gauge none-the-less.

11. jekbrown

actually its a terrible way to guage their skillz because...

a) Jordan was older / more developed when he entered the NBA, Kobe was 19.

b) Kobe joined a team with good scorers on it... he wasn't the primary focus of the offense until Shaq left. Jordan was almost always "the man" in Chicago. If you look at what Kobe has done sans Shaq, its a much better indicator if you want to compare numbers. Odom and Pippen are pretty comparable with respect to offensive help... so its a fair comparison these days. During the Shaq-in-LA era, it isn't such a fair comparison.

As far as Kobe game "evolving"... that would probably be the main difference between the two. Kobe developed his long + turn around fade-away game before he started to decline with respect to explode-to-the-basket skillz. Jordan responded once it started happening, Kobe addressed it before it was even a problem (prolly because he watched MJs game evolve).

I dunno how else to describe Kobe than "unstopable". The only one holding him back is him (ie whether or not his shot is falling). No defense seems to do much. His 81 point game was just stupid good. When Wilt scored 100, his team was doing stupid crap like fouling the other teams guards in the back court so that they would shoot FTs and get the ball back so Wilt could score again. Thats bush league if you ask me. IMO, Kobes 81 is the greatest single game perf of all time. His 62 points in 3 quarters is the next runner up.

j

12. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

O.K. Mr. Smarty Pants :D !

It seems you've eliminated pretty much everything except, 'In my opinion this, In my opinion that'.

It's also appears you've given Kobe excuses for not being compared to King Jordan. Are we attempting to compare apples to oranges maybe?

(Bill Russell is the greatest player, with 11 Championship rings (Ahem :eek1: :D )!!)

How does one compare objectively with minimal bias? We can't escape bias completely, but we can at least minimize it for fair comparison.

Kobe's' 81 points pales next to Wilts' 100 points; wouldn't you agree?

13. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

So you are saying Jordan developed his long game only after the defenses started stopping his short game? No, he didn't. ;) Jordan's speed was never a 'problem'. And when he had a sound team around him, he was unstoppable. Kobe... has been stopped alot.

You can't really say someone is unstoppable except when his shot isn't falling. That's pretty much an oxymoron. ;)

Points schmoints. Players have come and went that scored more points than Jordan in a single game, that does not make one great. You have to look at a bigger picture than one single game where someone scored 65, 81 or even 100 points. Was hius defender sick that night? Did his teammates overly work at getting him the ball/points? Did his miss 75% of his shots on his way to making that high score? Etc etc etc.

Nobody took control of a team, a game, a stadium and an entire league like Michael Jordan did, nobody. I was there for every last season, I saw the effect the Chicago Jordans had on the rest of the league, and the game itself. There's no way a claim can be made Kobe Bryant has acheived anywhere near that level in his game/career/life... yet. Maybe some day, maybe. Lets not forget who has a 6-ring dynasty... how many rings has Kobe carried his team on his shoulders to win? Go watch some of those old Bulls games where Jordan almost single handedly dragged his team by the hair to win yet another championship. Year in and year out. Kobe has not done this, he has skill but his consistancy is simply not there. Jordan was always on his game, very very rare he couldn't find some spark either from behind the line or above the rim. You did NOT stop Jordan, you simply tried to control the bleeding he caused.

That is not to take away from Kobe, he's awesome. but there's only been one Michael Jordan. This will sound dumb, but in a one-on-one, with MJ at his peak also, Jordan would have crushed Kobe. Jordan was bigger/ stronger and imo every bit as fast.

Odom does not compare to Scottie Pippen. If Jordan hadn't been in the league, Pippen would have been the number 1 player (basically was while Jordan was playing baseball). Can you honestly say Odom would even be considered the premier player in the league if Kobe was gone?

Jordan never had a great center to work with, Kobe did. Shaq, thanks to his size and the refs allowing him to get away with murder under the basket, was a scoring machine (league leader). Yet even with the two of them paired, how many championships did they win? That is more comparable to Jordan/Pippen imo. Either way, Kobe has a long ways to go to catch up to Jordan's resume.

14. thatK30guy

Bravo! *Golf clap* Couldn't have said it better!

Jordan is still king, any day! :bow:

15. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

I remember getting a little emo when Jordan beat Charles Barkley (Barkley look like he wanted to commit suicide :( ) in the Championship.

When they hugged after the final buzzer, I happened to read Jordan's lip's.
    He said, 'I love you, man', (sigh).

16. thatK30guy

Chuck Barkley's the fat bastard! :haha:

17. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

He was only fat early in his career. He got leaner as he progressed.

The Round Mound of Rebound :haha: :haha: !

18. thatK30guy

Have you seen him recently? :eek1: Certainly lives up to his nickname nowadays! :haha:

19. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Yeah, and he's a Turncoat :mad: !

He re-registered as a Democrap :rolleyes: .

20. thatK30guy

Hey! Watch your mouth! I'm a Democrap! Not that I really care about politics anyways. :rolleyes: :doah: :D

Man, since retiring, TRMOR has gained LOTS of weight. I still think he should audition for the role of FB in the next Austin Powers movie. :bow: