Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

kumho tires?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TwoCrowsDesign, Dec 10, 2001.

1. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Any opinions on these tires? I've never heard of them before, but gotta tell ya the price is right. Yeah, I know you get what you pay for, but sometimes you get those pleasant suprises. Plus the name is sorta cool in a Beavis and Butthead kinda way...

So, any experience with the old Kumhos?

John

2. 79k20

79k20 1/2 ton status

I bought a used set of A/T Kumho's to put on my 86' so I could sell it. I can't tell you much about wear, because I only had them for a week.

<font color=red>Sean<font color=red>

[​IMG]<font color=red>79 k20(duh) d44, 14bolt, built 350,350,np203,9"lift</font color=red>[​IMG]

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I ran a set of mud Kumho tires for a while 33s and I have a set of 35" Kumho mud tires on right now. I like them a lot. The price is definately right, and I got near 60000 KMs out of them (about 40000 miles). My 35s are new last fall, so I dont have mileage yet, but they do work well in snow, and seem to be great in mud.
    Like you said, you get what you pay for, but for the price, I cant say anything bad about them.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I never knew they made dirt tires...in road racing they are the big thing.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

5. TwoCrowsDesign

Thanks for replies.

I'll be considering the Muds then.

Thumper, do you find them to be true to diameter, are they close to 35", if they are closer to 34" I might be able to move up from 33 and still squeeze em in.

John

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

naw, the 35s are actually near 33.8 or sunthin...

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

7. TwoCrowsDesign

That's cool, are you running them on stock width wheels?

John

8. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    Kumho tires are made in a very modern manufacturing plant just outside the city of Osan in South Korea. I have toured the plant, and was impressed by how clean and organized the place was.

The South Korean manfacturers have finally realized that the world will NOT accept a poor quality product (and yet Kelly, Big-O and other crap is still being sold daily) and they have drastically improved their quality.

I have driven many Hyundai Grandeur's (now sold in the US, but called something like the XS300), Sonata-III's, Elantra's, Tiburon's and the very nice Mercedes powered SSang-Yong Musso. All equipped with Kumho tires, and all performed very well. Didn't know that they were being sold in then US but they must have impressed someone to be allowed the import rights.

Now if we can only ban some of the "bargain brand" tires being sold, but..................................

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

9. TwoCrowsDesign

Slayer,

Thanks for the response. Its not often you see 35" tires available under $120. I just received an email from a sales rep and they are even willing to special ship the tires to a local dealer for me. I'm not seeing too many impediments to buying these tires.

Thanks again for you input.

John

10. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

They sell a lot in my country. I just had a set before the current "Riken". They were called "Radial Powerguard" and had a Mud-Terrain style. They wore great and had good traction. I didn't do any hardcore stuff at that time, though, but I'd recommend them. I've also seen other styles with the same "Radial Powerguard" name on them.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Check with Wal-Mart. 35X12.50R15LT MTs $118.96 Delivered to your local store.

12. TwoCrowsDesign

Thanks for the heads up.

John