Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

KX125 problems - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by mud390, Jul 4, 2003.

1. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Well, my 1991 KX125 H2 clutch finally gave up the ghost. I tore it apart and found that the clutch plates and springs are all new Barnett. Well, the outter clutch basket is groved really bad. The pressure plate is shot too. I know that I'm gonna have to get the new pressure plate from the dealership, but I don't want to get the clutch basket from the dealerhip. They want $260 for a new basket!!! Does anyone know of an aftermarket company that makes one for a 1991 KX125? Sorry this is so long, but thanks for the help!

Kris

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: KX125 problems

hinson makes clutch baksets, presure plates and clutch boss. but it would be alot cheaper to get them from the dealer. (as from hinson it would be about $600 for everything, then you would still have to get the gear off the old basket and put it on the new one.) if you get the stock stuff and use the Kawasaki fibers on the first one and the last one you put in. if you go after market you do not have to do this because they are billet and are stronger and will not tear up the pressure plate and boss, this is only if you use a kevlar clutch, if you use a cork clutch you can put them all in.

Let me know if you need anymore help. TJ

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I was looking at going with a Hinson, but they only go back to a 1994 model, and mine is a 1991. All the big name clutch basket companies only make the baskets for 1994 and newer. I have found a few other companies that I have never heard of that make them for my bike, but I don't know if I should trust the quality of the part or workmanship. All the baskets I've found are right at $200, as opposed to the factory $260. I only need the outter clutch basket, the inner basket is still in really good shape. I have had everything looked at by a very reputable shop, and they said the same thing. Any ideas on where I could get a clutch basket? As far as the clutch plates go, I have a brand new carbon fiber barnett set (steel plates and fibers) and new springs to go with it. Thanks again.

Kris

4. big83chevy4x4

i just got to thinking you may not even need a basket. unless you have like 1/4" groves you can take a file and flaten them out and it will be good as new. DON'T use a power tool, you could take too much off and unballance the basket and it will fly to pieces. just a flat metal file works wonders. take just enough off to remove the groves. i wouldn't think twice about doing it on my own bike. in fact im going to do it on my bike before my next race. (clutch a little grabby) TJ

5. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I went to the Kawi shop today and the parts guy told me the same thing. I sounded kinda hokey to me, but after thinking about, it made sense. There is plenty of material there, so strength shouldn't be an issue. My main concern with this is the amount of play with the plates. Will that extra play cause the basket to wear out again? Even faster? Will it ruin my plates? Any adverse affects while riding (jolting)? Thanks for the help.

Kris

6. big83chevy4x4

the extra gap will do no harm. it will still groove, but it will save you $260 every time it groves. it should not do it faster. it will not ruin the plates. it will ride just like it did before, maybe better. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif TJ

7. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input! Maybe I'll get another 12 years out of this basket before I have to file it again! I'll let you know how it works out.

Kris

8. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Well, I finally filed down the basket and test fit everything and it looks ok. There is more play now than before, but no grooves to hold the clutch plates. I've got a bunch of parts on order right now. Hopefully get here next week so I can put it all back together and take it out for a ride. I'll keep y'all up to date. Even take some pics too.

Kris

9. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Well, I filed the basket down and got all the clutch plates checked out. Turned out the clutch packs were brand new Barnett. Put it all back together the weekend with some help from a guy I work with. Got it all adjusted pretty decent, but the bike was still lacking on the bottom end. Top end was great! Came in from a test ride and was sitting there adjusting the throtle cable and the rpm's just skyrocketed. I had to dump the clutch and stand on the breaks to get it to die (no kill switch...I need one!!) Let it sit and cranked it back up and it did it again. Tried a 3rd time and it wouldn't start? Any thoughts on that? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Kris

10. big83chevy4x4

good to hear you got it going, at least the throttle didnt stick while you where riding /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif is the throttle tube sticking or the cable, or did the rpm go up gradule. if it is the tube just take it off and clean the inside very well with brake clean/carb cleaner and dont forget to clean the bar. if it is the cable just lube it up vey good and just work it back and forth, or replace it (only like $10). if the rpm went up gradule, the you may want to clean the carb out good, you may have gotten a grain of sand or something stuck in the main jet and it wouldn't allow the neddle to go all the way back down, thus throttle stays open and...well, you get the rest. i would just check everything and make sure it looks/works good.

It kinda sound like you may have just flooded it out and making it not want to start.

11. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

The RPM's went up on their own gradually. The throtle isn't sticking, but I probably need to lube the cable and clean the tube anyhow. My first guess was to change the plug and clean the carb. How hard is it to clean/rebuild the carb on these things? Never done one before. Any special tools or cleaner that needed to be used? Thanks!!

Kris

12. big83chevy4x4

a rebuild would not be nessary unless it pours out gas with gas on. the only tools you need are a philips screwdriver(for the bottom cover) a straight blade screwdriver (for the jets) and a can of carb cleaner. Don't take any of the screws on the side out the carb out. you can really screw with the setting, and it is a real pain to set back correctly. if you must take them out, do it one at a time and count the turns and put it back to the same depth. when you take the bottom off, there should be a pin about an inch long holding the floats inplace. CAREFULLY push the pin out and set the floats aside, don't lose the needle that is hanging on to it. take both jets out and hold them up to light to see if you can see through them. if not, clean it with carb cleaner. DO NOT push a wire through them. you could damage it and they are about $6 bucks a piece. Then just clean everything else and reassemble it with the jets first and thenthe floats with the needle still atached.
    they are alot easier and simpler that a truck carb
    good luck TJ

13. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Sounds simple enough. <-- The beginning of every "easy" project. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Looks like I have something to do to fill up my Saturday afternoon now. I'll let y'all know how it turns out and take any pics if there is something just completely wacky in there. Thanks again!

Kris