Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

L-98 Engine Question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 68 Suburban, Aug 15, 2002.

1. 68 Suburban

68 Suburban Registered Member

Does the L-98 Corvette engine found in 85-91 Corvettes and Camaros have the ability to be run with a mechanical fuel pump?

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Not with the Tuned Port Injection still intact. The TPI setup requires much more fuel pressure than a mechanical pump could ever supply.

Mike

3. 68 Suburban

68 Suburban Registered Member

Thanks for the response. I am just interested in the block and not the fuel injection. The engine would be carburated.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My L-98 block got ventilated long ago, so I can't look for ya. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif However, adding an electric pump that's carb compatible wouldn't be difficult. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

The stock cam in the L-98 is tuned to work best with the TPI, but even then those engines were only rated at around 245 HP. A different cam would certainly perk it up, but it takes a roller cam so expect a replacement cam to cost $300+. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif You can reuse the stock roller lifters as long as they're in good condition. If the engine is really from a 'vette, it will have aluminum heads. I'm pretty sure that they used iron heads on the L-98's in the Camaro/Firebirds.

5. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

They do have the mechanical fuel pump provisions that will work fine with a carb.

Mike