Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

L.E.O. and legal beagle help needed.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 4by4bygod, Jun 28, 2005.

1. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I need some advice from you guys to give to a buddy of mine..

First, the setting:

Saturday night, the wife and I were at a neighborhood block party type thing, ( out in the sticks) at the invite of some friends who lived in this neighborhood.

There was a bonfire, with lots of drinking, as you might guess.

My buddy's wife got into a beef over something stupid with the mother of our hosts next door neighbor. There was some yelling and pushing, but little else. I didn't see it, but this was told to me, right after it happened.

The sons of this mother told my buddy's wife not to worry, nobody was upset, and not to mind their mother, cuz she's nuts and not on her meds. ( this I heard myself, still not realizing all that had gone on).

after about 5 - 10 minutes, I take my wife's durango up the yard away from the bonfire,up to the house, and when I get out of the truck, I hear my buddy talking earnestly with one of the sons of this crazy mother in the next door driveway.

My buddy is telling the son he doesn't understand what's going on, why is everyone mad, etc., and I look over just in time to see this guy pop my buddy right in the head, knocking him down. At this time, son # 2 dives on my buddy, just as I get there.

I pull son # 2 off my buddy, enabling him to get up to get away. Son # 1, the cheap shot artist chases him, so I get between them, and my buddy finally gets away. I'm suddenly alone in a yard full of people who don't like me. Nobody tried anything, though, and I guess I should be grateful for that.

Anyway, the cops get called by my hosts to report the incident.

What I found out later, was that when my buddy came up to the house,( before I got there) He was approached by the two sons and the husband, and told all was well, and nobody was upset, and let's drink more beer. They walk away, and then he was charged by the "crazy" mother, and her husband, who demanded my buddy take off his glasses to receive his thrashing. My buddy was all by himself here, with no backup or witnesses.

My buddy tells her he has no idea who she is, and asks why she's yelling at him.. at this point her husband tags him a good one. A minute or so after that is when I came up to the house and saw the punch in the driveway, as he was trying to figure out what was going on.

This is what's happened in the aftermath:

My host called the police, to report the assault, but the police spent more time in the neighbors driveway, taking more detailed notes. They didn't seem to care what we had to say, and nobody could be bothered to write down what I saw. Aren't police obligated to spend equal time with those who initiated the call?, or is it a judgement call, based on who seems more credible or less hysterical?

These neighbors put together a story saying my buddy pushed this lady, which is why the sons felt obliged to pummel him. The son I saw throw the punch took off before the cops showed up, and they didn't seem too interested in this fact. Also didn't care that my buddy was alone when ganged up on by this family.

What a lawyer has told my buddy is that since nobody who was on "our" side saw the part where he supposedly pushed her, there's no way to dispute their corroborated story. If my buddy presses assault charges, he gets popped for assaulting the old lady.

Also, the lawyer said that since my buddy was way drunk ( tested at the hospital that night) the cops consider something like this to be a barfight, once it's over, it's over, and charges can't be pursued anyway.

My buddy has some severe trauma to his eye and cheek, a concussion, and a bunch of bruises.

Anyone have any ideas for legal pursuit against these people? Is it possible to just sue someone for damages, even if the cops won't pursue charges?

I guess I can understand police indifference when drunk people fight, but what happened to my buddy was in my view a premeditated setup, and I'd sure like to help him be made right.

Tom

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I don't work for free dammit, I request payment with this currency:
    [​IMG]

Yes, you can sue without charges being filed. That's about the only way you will get some justice and even then, if you win, it's even more fun trying to collect................

It's usually a "he said" "she said" type of deal and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

We're not obligated to spend equal time with two parties. We're there to investigate why we're there and then determine if anything criminal happened, then go from there.

3. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Re....errrrr....get a new picture :p: you've already used that tonight..... :rolleyes:

4. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha:

5. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Thanks Bubba, here's a jelly - filled.

[​IMG]

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

If you have read that thread that I posted that pic in, I hereby commend you sir............................... :D

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can sue, you may win, but Bubba's right, collection is a bitch. you will also incur expenses. It he's hurt bad enough, it may be worth it. otherwise, it's probably not. Also keep in mind that they can always sue back, even if its groundless.

8. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Bubba... If you think reading the thread was headache inducing, being there was much more aggravating, lemme tell ya. :p:

Thanks for the response though. Was the jelly filled ok?

T

9. Stomper

Thank you sir :D It was a train wreck wasn't it :yikes: :woot:

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

We be talking about a different thread on a different site. Let's just say that a thread entitled something about confession, while seeming innocent on the surface, can turn into something that after you are done reading, you feel like taking a shower because you feel unclean.

Ya know, if there is ever an all-time Top Ten Thread Trainwrecks of the Internet, that thing could easily be in the top five. I've seen religion and political threads, hell I've been involved in threads that didn't get that damn ugly. I've talked to both people in the past about unrelated stuff, and I knew that they had been an item, but it was hard for outsiders to pick up on it since they didn't advertised. Then the way everything went down was just amazing. I know a few people over there, but I'm certainly not on the 'inner circle' and the people I know are not either, so I didn't know what happened.

I ended up last night going back a few weeks to get the backstory and IMHO, that whole thing was instigated by that 'inner circle.'

Oh well, I guess it's a life lesson for people in the future. ;)

11. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I guess I'll have to read it. I was looking for a readers digest version.

12. Stomper

I had thought the "click" had gone away, but it appears that it is alive and well :D . I'm just glad I'm not a wimins, because it seems more brutal for them if they fall out of grace.
    The fellas can go at it pretty rough, but some of the girls take vengeance to a new level:whistle:
    I could tell they were an item months ago also, because of all the innuendo being thrown around. Many times I had thought about telling them to get a room, and it looks like they had... I knew something must have happened because that stopped, but had no clue(wish I still didn't)

I'm pretty much just an avid reader of ****shat, plus sign up for all the bling :thumb:

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Yup, I agree, the women get ruthless.................

Ya know, if they had refrain from making commentary when the female half of that was making comments, that thing probably wouldn't have gotten like that. They should all lock themselves in a room and fight to the death over this, it's pretty pathetic, even worse than Springer since his stuff is fake........

14. Stomper

Yep, the whole thing was self inflicted in more ways than one.....You reap what you sew, and then some :haha: