Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lab(dog) question??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bhintz, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

which is the bigger breed of lab american or english

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

by the looks in the other dog post, the english. that thing looks huge

3. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

Typically, the english version of the breed is bigger ( stockier) Though be aware, usually the heavier the dog, the earlier the hip and joint problems start to appear. I had a 100 lb english black lab named ruger, Awesome dog.

Brett

4. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

I had a black lab and he was BIG! He got up to 150lbs at one time. He had really bad hip problems and eventually died from stomach float which I now know is common in beg dogs. When I get another one Im gonna try to kep him skinny.

Nick

5. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

It depends on what you call bigger. The Amercian breed of Labs are taller, skinnier built for field use and running. English Labs on the other hand share the bloodline close to thier relative, the New Foundland. English lab are shorter, stockier and have more muscle. They are built for for bird and waterfowl retrieval and swimming. English breeds have a thicker 'otter' tail and thier heads are very different than american breeds. Thier snout is shorter and the top of thier head can be almost flat. I am not sure about females, but males of pure breed will weigh 93-95lbs. Hip disorders are common with larger breeds, but with a good blood line and breeding, you can get a dog that won't inherit this problem, Bailey, or family and hunting dog, is garunteed not to have these problems IIRC. The Kennel we got Bailey through was Salin Labs, his Father name was Titan, forgot what his mother name was... anyways here is a picture.

Here's my English lab, Bailey, 4yrs:
    [​IMG]

6. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I have a lot more pictures of Bailey if you want them, and I am sure me or my Dad, Derf00 can answer any of your questions about Labs. I love this breed of dogs, I would have any other kind...other than a Bulldog or an Austrailian Cow Dog /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

7. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

alright cool this summer Im going to get one and train it then take it back down to school with me, Ive made up my mind about it being a girl and american just b/c I dont want a massive dog but I cant decide on what color? Im thinking yellow just b/c the 2 best lookin labs ever have been yellow