Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lack of oil to valvetrain/rockers? *DELETED*

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by jp0863, Aug 15, 2004.

1. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Post deleted by jp0863

2. jp0863

Re: lack of oil to valvetrain/rockers?

ok, for those who are interested i think i may have solved my problem. while the valve covers were off i liberally doused the valve train w/fresh oil, then fired it up. i reved the motor for a few minutes to build up pressure and out came the crap and some fresher oil. so i may have fixed my own problem by meerely reving the motor. not alot of oil came out, but enough to provide oil to the rockers and valves. so now begins the process of putting it back together.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ok, for those who are interested i think i may have solved my problem. while the valve covers were off i liberally doused the valve train w/fresh oil, then fired it up. i reved the motor for a few minutes to build up pressure and out came the crap and some fresher oil. so i may have fixed my own problem by meerely reving the motor. not alot of oil came out, but enough to provide oil to the rockers and valves. so now begins the process of putting it back together.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have to rev it that high to get the oil up then you might have had a bad oil pump that starved the engine, ruined your bearings and now even with a new pump the clearance on the bearings is high and you will wstill have low oil pressures.
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. jp0863

just put the oil pump in two days ago. i appearently had some crap in the oil galleys or oil cooler(not sure if it goes through the cooler first), but all seems fine now. good oil flow at idle. it sat on a military base for quite some time collecting dust. i'm sure the engine needs going through, but ill drive it til it breaks and then have it rebuilt or swap to gas. it's not by any means a daily driver so i'm not too concerned.