Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Laid off

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fordeater, Mar 16, 2005.

1. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, got diagnosed with a hernia on friday, and doc said i could lift up to 20#s. Went into work yesterday to try and find stuff to do, usually delivering appliances, so that is obviously out of the question. The owner of our store, an italian jackass, came up to me and said he couldn't afford to have me not do anything, and told me that they were laying me off. Freakin awesome, their fault i'm hurt, and that can't manage to let me answer phones or anything. So, i'm basically stuck at home for the next 2 months. Means i'll be visiting blockbuster ALOT. rant over

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Collect anything on worker's comp?? If you were hurt on the job that should cover your medical bills. So you still have your job whenever you get better right? Can you collect unemployment when you are just laid off? Sorry for these questions, we are learning all these kinds of things about running a business in class.

3. fordeater

yeah, its L&I, workers comp, hurt on the job. so, all bills are paid. I have heard that L&I pays me 80% of my normal wages, and that i can get temporary disability which pays the other 20%, but i'm not exactly sure how it works yet. As far as having my job when i get back, i better get it cause its against the law to can me. They are already working on replacing me, so we will see what happens

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Check out yer local libraries. We go by'em regularly. Ours have the newest DVDs and VHS tapes. Only time we rent is if it's just came out and we don't wanna wait a week or two. And they have BOOKS too. :grin:

Oh and sorry to hear about yer situation. Keep yer chin up!

You won't see the stiches then!:D

5. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

While you are off keep a good eye on ther possibilities of work. Just a suggestion.

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

That's pretty crappy, but at least you are able to pull from worker's comp in the meantime. I feel your pain. I used to run a O/O moving truck and blew my groin out about 8 years ago. It took a long time to heal, and still haunts me to this day.

Anyhow, I agree with Kyser. I would be looking for a new job while you're off. The guy sounds like a dickhead if he can't put a commited employee on "light duties" while he heals from a job-related injury.....

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i got layed off, and then rather than bringing back the people on layoff, they started hiring people off the street. i walked into the shop, showed the plant manager the phone number of the labor board, and said "i'll use it if i have to, when do i start?" i had a job the next day. :D and they canned me a couple months later. :mad:

8. dwoods

dwoods 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I agree one guy I worked with blew out his knee playing basketball and he was put on light duty work.

Take it easy but dont be like me i added 20 pounds after I tore a hammy

9. fordeater

yeah, i've only been home for 2 days. i'm bored out of my mind, and its hard as hell not to eat everything in the house. I just need to go work on my blazer, not lifting more then the 20# i'm allowed to lift of course.

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I don't think that's legal...................call your local EEOC or equivalent. :mad:

11. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I applaud you for not going for the "I'll need some help in the bathroom, 20# limit and all..." joke

Well, i just wanted to make the joke... sooooo :D