Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lame Engine

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TSGB, Nov 30, 2004.

1. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Alright, from what I read around here, I've narrowed it down to a vacuum leak, or a distributor problem. How can I check for vacuum leaks? And how can I inspect my distributor (if possible) to find out if that's causing the problem? I've heard you can get a nasty dose of electricity from them, and I don't want to find out the hard way.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can get a nasty shock from HEI, I have. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Only when it's running though.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I use carb cleaner to find vacuum leaks--use the "straw" to guide the spray at any suspected hoses,gaskets,and listen for a change in RPM's with it running--usually it will want to stall if the cleaner gets sucked in through a leak.Some folks use an unlit propane torch with a hose over the burner to direct the propane to the desired spot,I tried it a few times,and after I set my beard on fire when it went "whooof" when I found a bad plug wire--I went back to carb cleaner!!. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Dont spray the distibutor,either by accident or on purpose--I've seen the caps blow off in a thousand peices-- /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You can get a nasty shock from HEI, I have. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Only when it's running though.

[/ QUOTE ]
    hell ya thats hurst like hell, made my arm go numb from the elbow down, no fun at all /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

5. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Thanks for the tips guys!

6. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Look for carbon tracings on the inside of the cap and the general appearance of the rotor and the nine contacts in the cap and I'm sure someone will help ya out with some other ideas.