Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lame Question -- Getting a new radiator -- Need Opinions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Lance, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

It's a lame question I know but I searched and didn't find exactly what I needed. I am looking for opinions on what would be the best set-up for my Jimmy.

Some background on my situation, I am replacing my stock tranny (either BTO or TCI haven't decided which) in the next few weeks and I will be adding a lock-up torque converter and a tranny cooler at the same time. I want to replace my radiator at this time.

My future plans include a slightly over-bored TBI 350 w/ vortec heads and a mild cam for it (I just starting tearing down my new block). I live in Alabama so heat is definitely an issue and this truck is sort of a daily driver. So what's everyone's opinions and experiences? 2,3,4 row radiator, aluminum, etc. Too many options out there and I want to pick the best I can afford.

Thanks for the advice,

Lance

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I'm running a 4 row w/ a 180 degree t-stat, and it runs cool. Also have the stock clutch fan.

John

3. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Lance,

Before you buy one let me know. I think I can save you a lot of money!

Mike

4. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just bought a stock replacement ( 4 core, copper)radiator. The only thing I have to say is if you are having overheating problems is. Take the tranny cooler out of the radiator and put an external tranny cooler on it but not in front of the radiator. I had over heating problems with my K5 I when through and replaced the water pump,radiator, elec. fans. and then moved the cooler and the problem is gone.

5. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Sent ya a PM! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the tip, that's definitely my game plan. I've had similar issues before.

7. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My K-10 has a be-cool aliminum raditor with a 16" electric fan and my tranny cooler has a fan on it also It's available in summit both items work great I have a Tci 700r-4 and I love it but I've been reading about those Bow tie overdrive trannys and I think it might be a better deal Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I agree with Todd, get a manual Tranny Radiator and just run a external tranny cooler, and don't go with a 2 core, stay with the 3 or 4.

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Whether you go with a radiator with internal cooler (for tranny) or not, get a 4 core. They aren't much more than a 3 core. You will have to get new "cushions" (the rubber mounts that the radiator sits in), but those can be had for fairly cheap through LMC and others. I found going this route that even with the internal tranny cooler, my temps are perfect (my truck originally came with a 3 core and internal cooler). It ran warm until I replaced the radiator. My radiator was pretty scaly and old, so that may have been the biggest problem or maybe even only problem (old radiators with built up scale DO NOT transfer heat as well).

10. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Put a 4 row in my 91 1500/350 sub and it rarely, if ever get's up over 1/2 way now even while towing in the 'blistering'? Wisconsin summers! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Ran about $130/delivered with life-time warr from radiators.com Click me! Also added aux cooler after that, but didn't notice tranny temp being an issue. There were some small mod's to the rad mounts to go from 3 to 4 row.. (new rubbers, a tweak here, a tweak there), but not rocket science. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I always go bigger with the radiator. I usely tell the radiator shops I need a heavy duty radiator for a built up 454 even though I'm only running a small block.

12. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I bought a 3 row radiator from AutoZone 4 yrs ago for $99 lifetime. It works like a dream. I live in Tucson Az and it's hotter than all hell here in summer. I run a 190 thrmostat. I was told a bigger radiator holds more hot water. I've never understood the tank, capacity, thermostat equation but since I replaced my motor last July my motor has never gone over 190 even during the break-in with the A/C on

13. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input everyone, new question, same subject. Are the Griffins, Be Cools, Howes, etc. radiators worth the extra coin and can anybody give me the breakdown of benefits of aluminum over copper radiators.

14. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I had a stock 4-core In my stepside that was in good shape But I got a deal on the aluminum radiator that being said If a had to buy a new raditor I'd spend the extra money and get another aluminum one There was probaly a 25 degree differance between the stock 4-core and the 2-core aluminum If you can afford it go aluminum plus the aluminum raditor is way lighter /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

15. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I replaced mine last year, it came factory with a 3 row, but I bought a Modine 4 row which is a factory replacement for a 454 truck. I put a 160-deg thermostat in it and it rarely gets up to 170 degrees. I love it. I was tired of it running hot on me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But you also have to consider that I have a 400 small block and not a 350.

16. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Use your CK5 discount at radiator.com (10% off) and a new 4 core is something like $162 delivered to your door (FED EX overnight delivery too I think it was...).

17. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yep it is overnight. That is where I got my radiator from. It works great.