Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

land cruiser, anyone?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by chevidog, Nov 20, 2001.

1. chevidog

chevidog Registered Member

Anyone want to stray from chevy and buy my FJ40? I didn't want to offend anyone by posting in the blazer/jimmy for sale section, but I have a 1978 FJ40 for sale if anyone is interested. I put a lot of money and even more work into it and it is a very solid vehicle. Lift, tires, rust-free tub, and newly rebuilt engine, just to name a few. Very low miles on new parts; I just get tired of vehicles pretty fast and would like to free up money to start something new. I can e-mail pics if anyone is interested, asking $7,000. I can post more stats too if someone wants to know/see more.

2. I love cruisers, but that thing better have some goodies for 7 G's !! Lets here the specs, ie.. axles, gears, engine, tranny, transfer, ect....

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>I Like my Burb'n on the ROCKS !!
    <font color=black>Imported to Kentucky through military channels !!

3. chevidog

It truly baffles my why these things bring so much, but typically they do. Don't get me wrong, I love um too, but a blazer at the same price will have a lot more goodies to list. Lift is a BDS 4", still under the stock axles with front power disc brakes. 35" Pro-Comp M/Ts, and a beefed up 2F with the original 4 speed tranny/transfercase combo. -When I was planning on swapping in a chevy V8, I got buyers at $2,000 for the rebuilt 2F and the 4 speed, damn parts are plain expensive. -Thats the biggest reason I want out of this vehicle. Old man emu greasable pins and front shackles, revolvers in the rear. I installed a new tub with the entire floor replaced with diamond plate steel- turned out awesome- tub and most of the frame stripped and painted with por-15. I also grafted reciever hitch tubes to the rear frame rails replacing the old rusted rails. This turned out great too. The plan was to make a basket for gear and a few different bumpers that were quick and easy to change- also makes perfect jack points for high lift. Then there are a bunch of smaller things like a new seat bracket, console, new seats, and other creature comforts. Biggest factor in price, around here especially, is the rebuilt 2F and the rust-free tub. It is damn near impossible to find a good steel tub, then when you do find one you'll have to take out a loan to get it. Same deal with fiberglass and aluminum tubs. Anyway I had it "appraised" by the local LC Gurus and they said 6,000 to 10,000, which is still less than invested not counting labor. I also have a ton of parts to go along with it including adapters and all necessary fabbed mounts to swap in a V8.

4. Why diamond plate on the floor? Was the floors gone? I know people over price them things and they do sell for it sometimes. Good luck !!

5. chevidog

Yeah, the floor was gone. I had to drive to north dakota to pick up what was supposed to be a totally rust free tub. Well, needless to say, there was a difference of opinion. The front floor had to be replaced, just brushing of the surface rust broke through in some places. After I finished the front floor, I was quite impressed. I only needed to replace a small panel in back where a couple body mounts had rusted through, but decided what the hell. The stuff sells in 4x8 sheets, so I may as well use it up. I also restructured the supports under the rear floor so that the roll bar mounts tie together through the floor supports. I also gave myself the option of making a storage compartment in the floor, or I can still use the space for an auxilary gas tank. Before I started I truly hated diamond plating- I thought it was way overused and I didn't care for the way it looked on panel replacements. But I really like the way it turned out, and I really can't complain about the condition, since the tub was cheap. I used a pretty heavy guage sheet for the floor and the structure is now much more rigid, and I don't think it added much weight either. nice long answer to a simple question :) sorry

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

bring it to texas. I see stock ones all the time that go for around 10K. It's ridiculous. My dad picked up a '74 with a 350 conversion for $2300 about 6 years ago. Sold the tranny to cool cruisers of texas. Big shop, all they do is buy dirt cheap LCs and restore them to sell at 10x the cost. Dont get me wrong, LC's are awesome platforms to start a buisness on, but there's a lot of hype out there too. But anyways, you could sell it for 7K easy if it's relatively rust free and has all its badges!!!

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

7. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

Yea, it's not uncommon to see those FJ-40 sale for around $5000-$8000 depending on the condition there in. I could have bought one for $1200 in fair condition, but I didn't jump on it fast enough. I kick myself every time I think about too. The guy selling it could have sold it for alot more, but he just did not know what he had.

8. chevidog

What hurts me is the body. With that price tag, people want a new looking paint job. I planned on keeping it longer, so I thought I'd paint it after I finished mechanically. But after slapping on the tub, in order to protect the body from the winter salt, I painted the outside with por-15 to hold me over until I had time/money to finish. It is actually about perfect for what I wanted, but to sell it, it hurts. I'll probably hold on to it, since I have so much invested-and haven't gotten much interest. The little bugger is just a blast to cruise around, both on and off road.

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I picked one up for a grand. Not too bad but the clutch slave cyl leaked and the floor was rusted out and had some kind of "sun-roof" glued in. The rest of the body was O.K. except for the rockers. Fenders were pefect-
    until-
    I paid for it, trailerd it to a wheeling spot and rolled it. Not what I intended to do with it, but the "lets see what she's got" got the better of me. The roll, dented one of the fenders, and poped the top, so it wasn;t that bad.
    We were waiting behind one of my buddys, trying to make it over a rock pile. My clutch bleeds off and the thing starts rolling (guess how I found out about the clutch). I tried to bang it out of gear, but It was in low, so I had no luck. So to keep from rear-ending my buddy, I turnd to the right- and over it went. (nice-easy-flop on the passanger side, the snow covered gully was a bit deeper than I thought)

Any-way.
    It sits on the side of my house, waiting for the Project Jimmy to be done, so it can have it's time under the knife.

I really like the Land Crusier body styles. They're really clean, tuff looking rides.

<font color=blue>Twiz

10. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I wonder how that landcruiser would do with my Jaguar body on it........ If I can't sell or trade off my Jag I am gonna make it a wheeler....I mean it....

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>See my pics here</a>

11. I wonder where you'd get an idea like that? A Jag with 44" Boggers?