Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Landscape work ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by riz, Jun 8, 2002.

1. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color="blue"> Any of you use 18" x 18" paver stones to do landscape work ? I know you need to put paver sand down to level it all out but does that alone keep them from moving around and makes them solid to walk on ?</font color>

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

On any paver stone you need to lay down a layer of sand underneath the stones. Some recommend a 2-4" layer of gravel, then 1-2" layer of sand. I've usually just done sand, but I'm in So. Cal and it doesn't rain much. I would say lay some gravel under the sand layer if you have heavy rainfall so there's drainage. Then lay the pavers on the sand. Pour sand over all the pavers when you're done, sweep it in the cracks then wet it down. It'll be like concrete between the pavers and hold them in. Toughest part of pavers is getting them level in relationship to each other. That's where having a layer of sand underneath helps a lot too, as well as giving the pavers something to sink into a bit for immobility.

3. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color="blue"> Damn ! This site has it all ! I posted this not but 5 minutes ago and POW ! I got an answer ! Thanks a bunch ! I just picked up 40 of them and wanted to learn more about the whole sand thing before we started in ..... I might lay down a bit of gravel since we get the rain quite a bit ..... although it's under our eaves so on second thought ,maybe not ! Thanks again ! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif </font color>

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

riz take some pics of your work when you are done i like to see what diferent people do with there yard so i have more ideas for when i some day get a house /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color="blue">Will do ! I usually take pictures to e-mail to my parents who liveup north ..... It's hard work but rewarding to see the finished product .... Much like our Blazers ! </font color>

6. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

I'm laying a sidewalk with regular red brick. When we had our deck built, we connected it to the
    existing side porch, so we had some brick removed. Thats what I'm using for the sidewalk. I'm
    putting down about two inchs of sand. Gravel base is recommended for drainage. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If you can rent or borrow a vibratory plate wacker run it over them after spreading the sand on top of the bricks. It helps get more sand in the gaps and locks the pavers better. then wet it down last.

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

cool i like to do landscaping and you are right when you get done and see the finished product it is very cool and rewarding /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

You're welcome! Pics would be great when you're done. And 70 K5 is right, a vibrating tamper is a convienent tool too if you can rent one.

Good luck! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Hey riz if you havent done them yet I would like to recomend that you use what they call (A/B) it is short for asphalt base it is a combo of sand rock and gravel (they use it under the pavede roads)
    Because with the gravel you will lose some of the sand in the rock which will make gaps in the sand and could cause the pavers to move...and yse get or rent some sort of tamper they even have the plate on the pole that you can buy or rent..and be sure to wash the sand in the gaps with a good stiff broom to get the sand filled in the spaces..mike /forums/images/icons/cool.gif tm2c

11. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color="blue"> All very excellent advise ...thanks ! Vibrating Tamper huh ? I'll see if I can borrow Wes' LOL ! </font color>

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Did I say that?........ /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

13. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Don't laugh... but she used to have a nice little page on how to do this... http://www.rebeccasgarden.com. I used it to make a path for my grandma's friend a few months ago. Turned out well and she had some good tips.... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

14. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yep, Steph, I agree, Rebecca's site (and the show BTW) is really good. She's not some froo froo in lace. She seems to know a lot about her field (no pun intended). /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

15. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

She's not quite as scary as Martha Stewart either.... and I actually can find stuff that works for my house and is not all uptight fancy... just stuff to make things nicer but allows you to live in your house... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

16. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color="blue">Should I be spacing them out or butting them up together ? </font color>

17. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Most people space them a half inch or so apart, so there's room for sand around the edges to the top of the paver.

18. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color="blue">Right on ! Thanks ! </font color>

19. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

put the space and then when they are set take some sand and spread it out on top and work it in with a stiff broom the wet (not soak) it and your done...mike