Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lap belts vs. 4 or 5 point harnesses

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 70jimmy, Oct 4, 2004.

1. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Okay so I am in the middle of a major buildup. Getting ready to have the cage made so I need to pick my seats. Which also means I need to pick belts or harnesses.

For seats I want front buckets and a 36 inch rear bench seat that match. I have found them in styles that allow for 4 or 5 point harnesses and lap belts. My question is which do you prefer for wheeling and why??

If you have recommedations for either seats or belts please post up. currently I am looking at either Beard or Mastercraft depending on the belt vs. Harness decision.

Yes the seats will be attached to the cage as will the belts or harnesses. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I prefer harnesses. I don't like how the factory shoulder belt pulls to one side.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Depends if this is a trail only rig, or DD/occasional wheeler.
    If its mostly for trails, get harnesses. You dont want those silly factory belts pulling as you roll over, or get in a off-camber situation.
    If its for a DD, lap belts because harnesses would be a pain in the rear to get in and out of all the time...

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I see no nead for the 5th point unless it is for compitition. It just gets in the way of some important "stuff". In our little school race car we had 6-point...took alot of "adjusting" to get into (you had to adjust the belts too /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif)

It wouldn't hurt to get seats with the 5th hole in them but I wouldn't use it in a trail truck.

I like seats with 2 seperate sholder strap holes insted of just 1 slot.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have 5 pt harnesses. For crawlin, i wear just a lap belt, its all i really need and if a giant rock comes through the window (i have no doors) i want my upper body to be able to move and not get crushed into nothingness. When i get up to higher speeds or when i drive on real roads, i use the shoulder belts and stuff.

j

6. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    It will be about 50/50 as far as daily driver wheeler. I don't drive my truck much other than an occasional trip of no more than 50 miles each way. Unless I am going wheeling then as far as I need to. Bottom line I drive it to go where I am gonna wheel and hopefully can drive it home.

Regardless it wont have the factory lap belts anymore. I am leaning toward the 4 point harnesses. I agree not much need for the 5th point and I figure on the road I can skip the shoulder belts if I want, or just wear them a little loose.
    thanks for the input. I just added another seat I am considering. Kartek. Any input on the seats would also be appreciated.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

im getting beard seats, I forget the model name, but they are resistant to dust, sand, mud, etc. something i personally need.

8. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I think I would want a little more than a lap belt for a DD, if you run into something what is stopping your upper body from going forward, NOTHING. The harness would be a pain in a DD and a wheeling rig since you cant really lean out, I bet you could just wear one side of the harness and the lap belt and then if you see something that might get a little bit more "fun" then strap in tight.
    My .02 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Main reason for the Anti-Sub strap is to keep the lap belt from riding up too high when you cinch down the shoulder belts. BT,DT, it can hurt when moving fast over rough stuff. I'd buy them with the Anti-Sub's. Then you have the option of not using them if you don't need to.