Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

laptop question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jun 2, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Would it be okay to get a laptop off of ebay? I'm looking for one for travel (im travelling for 3+ weeks this summer, with LOTS of driving)
    Also, I'd use it in my new "shop" since a desktop pc would take up too much room. (it's 20x20ft. I need to be organized)
    I don't want a high tech 3000 dollar one. Just one that will work good, and not be slow. Any suggestions? Search came up mostly with bling laptops...
    Brand?
    Also, how does wireless internet work? My friend has a mac. laptop, and he says he gets free internet from his neighboor, thats how he uses the internet. How does that work when you are driving or moving? Would it keep dieing when it got too far away???
    Any advice?
    Looking at macs sort of...found key covers to keep off the dirt/dust/grease from the shop, off the keyboard.
    But im open for opinions.
    It's either this or a pocket bike, not sure which one yet.

2. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

I got this HP laptop for 650 about 4 months ago at best buy and it's great, the way it works is you need lets say DSL in your home and then a wireless router, then you can still use the desk top and you can use the laptop anywhere in the house or yard depending on the strenth of the signal the router is sending,or you can hi jack a neighbors signal if there not using a security enabled network. Driving around isn't going to work unless you get some real fancy laptop that works like a cell phone connection, I think.
    I've went driving around with the laptop and just kept checking for signals and there where about 10-15 signals with in about 3 mile area, and most were not secure networks then all I had to do was pull over and I was on CK5 its freaking awsome.

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

You can get good deals at stores

Desktops it's no questions with me, but I'm not too sure about building laptops yet

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Whell you could always just out your desktop on your lap, and pretend! :D j/k

I dont know squatabout laptops but HP computers are great!! Thats what ive got. :)

5. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

A friend of mine bought a couple computers off eBay a little while back. All went well, one even came with a gig of pr0n :thumb:

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

It depends on your budget. Ebay you might find a good deal on a used machine, but it's probably about the same as you'd find in a local electronics store like best buy or circuit city. I think even Walmart and big chain stores are selling cheap laptops now.

I'd recommend Dell or HP. If you can afford it, IBM Thinkpads are the best... Or were the best, I don't know if they still are since the division was sold.
    I've heard Toshiba's are kind of junky, and most of the noname's on ebay are the same machines as a major brand name, just minus the brand name for whatever reason. I wouldn't really want a noname off ebay, though.

Wireless access by jumping on someone elses network is called "wardriving", but if you're in a rural area, don't count on finding many signals you can hitchhike on.
    By me, Verizon has a wireless card that runs on the EVDO network. It's basically a cell phone for the computer, and it runs on the cell network. It's pretty pricey, though, I was thinking about getting one for my wife and for when we travel, but it's not worth it to me.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

So really, I'd have to stop to use the internet since the connection would keep getting lost?
    Hmmmm :crazy:

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Right, if you're using 802.11 technology. The cell technology I mentioned wouldn't have that problem. But you'd have to be somewhere there's decent cell reception, which, as we found out on our drive to and from Florida last week, isn't everywhere, like Verizon would like you to think...

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

How expensive is the "cell" phone thing for you laptop?
    Thanks for the help!

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

This is the card I have:
    http://www.karbonsystems.com/Verizon-Airprime-PC-5220-products_detail-188.html

[​IMG]

I got it through work, so I didn't pay for it. It has a phone number, etc, too, just like a cell phone.

The monthly charges are also like a cell phone plan, unlimited local/national data appears to be about $80 a month (yikes!).

But, then again, that's unlimited. You could feasibly get rid of your home internet access and save $40 a month right there. We have too many needs for that to work for us, though (I need access to servers at my house when I'm on the road with the card, etc).

Anyway, that's the skinny on the mobile card. You could also get a removable wifi (802.11) card with an antenna port, attack a big arse antenna to it, hang it out your car window and hope for the best...

I'm really lucky around Long Island. It's full of yuppies and yahoos that all need the latest technology whether they know squat about it or not, so there are literally dozens of unsecured networks floating around here. From my living room, I can attach to 3 different networks. On my 3 mile drive to work (I monitored once) there are like 30 or 40 or so. My train ride to work, there were dozens and dozens, but I cant' remember exactly how many.

Before I had the card, if I had to do something urgent at work after leaving the house but before getting on the train, I would just pull over on a side road on my drive to the train station and connect through some goof's wide open network.
    My brother came back from boot camp last year and went to his old room in my mom's house, connected to the first network and started surfing. he thanked me for setting up my mom with wireless, and then I told him I didn't... He checked around and was able to completely access one of our neighbors financial data, photos, music, etc.
    Crazy stuff this wifi is...

11. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Most come with internal wireless cards installed. Just get a wireless router for around $75.00 plug it into the modem and go wireless. Or you can still plug it in to a phone jack or LAN connection. I bought my first laptop 5 years ago and wouldn't have anything else. Do alot of Photoshop and Video editing too, beat HL-2 awhile back on my current Dell laptop.

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

That wouldn't be so bad if I used the laptop more. But I just wanted it for travelling and when im outside. So thats not the best route for me. Maybe one day though I will get it!

Thats scary he could access all the finaciall data, and photos :blush:

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

So if you have a internal wireless card, and a wireless router I can use a phone jack anywhere to access the internet? Does it charge me, or the people that pay for the phone bill?
    Thnks