Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

laptop recommendations

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MTChevy, Dec 23, 2005.

1. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I am headed out of the house soon (college) and thought i might get a laptop to keep organized... Do any of you have any recommendations? I would like to have it to keep papers in order, do stuff, not quite sure. Just wondering what you guys would choose. I dont want to spend an arm and a leg, just looking for something mid range. Thanks for the help

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

are you REALLY sure you want a laptop?

you cant upgrade them like a desktop, they cost more for less performance, and you cant put the monitor the correct distance from your face, so if you spend too much time in front of the computer like i do, you can trash your eyes

if you think you will use the portability and small size, then they are worth it, but ive regretted not buying a desktop for a while now

3. MTChevy

I was mainly thinking laptop for portability... But maybe I could get a regular desktop to work. This one would be perfect, but thats not gonna happen.

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Where are you planing on attending college at? Check with them on what types of internet connection their is? Are you staying in a dorm room or living of campus? What is your major that your going to study? If you want both worlds you can get a stocking station for the laptop and use an external monitor, keyboard, & mouse.... are you wanting to play DVD's, games, internet and/or just schoool work?

5. MTChevy

Im going to wyotech in laramie. They say they do not provide internet connections and that is all i know. id like to play DVD's, few games,,, and internet so i could visit CK5 often. It would be nice for school work too.

6. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Get an IBook or a Powermac. There is no substitute. I was an avid PC laptopp user, and swore by them, then I bought a powermac and havent looked back since. I am doing graduate work in louisville, and I use it for notes, papers, webbrowsing, and various other apps. I always get a good chuckle when my buds with thier PC's get to class and windows craps out on them. I am always willing to send em a copy of the notes for the day :) Just my $.02