Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Laptop tech - processors & parts.. What do you need/have to have?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Emmettology 101, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

--originally posted this on Pirate and wanted to see what you guys thought--

Ok, a little while back I posted about looking for a new laptop and got alot of good feedback on brands. Most seemed to favor Sony.

Now I am wondering what components you guys like? On the other threads there was a little talk on processors, but not alot...

Sony uses all Intel processors. There are a couple models I like through them. Have been looking at a few HP's too... For years I have been partial to Intels just cause they seemed to be the leader in processors.. But over the years AMD have become more widely known so I am not counting them out.

What are your guys thoughts on the AMD Turion 64? There are some good reviews on the net about them and they are 32bit and 64bit compatible for when the 64 bit OS's come out in the near future.

And also, what are your guys thoughts on the new processors coming out that are dual core? Like the Intels that are already, the Core Duo.... Are they worth it?

Right now I am leaning towards an HP with the AMD Turion64 processor, 1024mb ram, 80gb dual capacity HDD, 17" widescreen, ATI Radeon M200 graphics card, DVD burner, etc....... Just cause it seems to be the best deal that I have found so far.... Still looking at Sony's. Found a few I like, but they have a 15.4" screen.. Which is ok, dont have to have a 17" screen. And last but not least, I am still considering one Dell despite what some say... It's the XPS M140.. It only has a 14.1" wide screen, but has some good compents and is a good deal. Plus for the $$, it comes with the best warranty....

And last but not least... Where do you prefer to purchase your laptops? I've search all the mfg's sites and looked through the pre-built comps and also have built my own... Checked places like Best Buy, Circuit City, Sam's Club, etc..... And have also checked alot of on-line places....

I am a CSIS major and this will be my main and only comp.... Right now I am tryin to get the best components for my price range. Trying to stay at 1gb of ram minimum.. A 17" screen would be nice, but I think I would be fine with a 15.4" since I'm happy with my current 15" laptop screen.....

A few examples of comps I'm looking at:

HP dv8113cl, dv5040us
    Sony
    Dell XPS m140

Discuss...:laugh:

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

go with the amd one:bow: also amd has duel core processors out as well:D :D

3. Emmettology 101

I am leaning towards the dv5040us right now. Smaller screen, but more processor power, twice the ram, etc... But the ram is at it's max at 2048mb..... I think it is the best deal so far...

Haven't seen anything with the AMD dual core. Are they labeled a Turion? Or something different?

**edit** Just checked AMD and see the have an Athlon 64 x2 and an Opteron dual core..... The Athlons I saw are listed for desktops(just quickly scanned the site). And the Opterons are listed for Servers/Worksations...

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

When I can afford to replace my aging refurbed by me unit , I am buying a bare bones from a reseller , and adding my own drive and ram etc .

These are easier to take apart and repair than proprietary units from big companies , and cheaper too by up to a grand in some cases :thumb:

5. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

dual core's are not available for laptop (afaik)

6. Emmettology 101

There are a few MFG's offering the Intel Core Duo processors in laptops now. I know Sony has them and I htink Dell is offering them also. Maybe others..

Right now I am leaning towards the HP dv5040us. 15.4 screen, 2.2ghzAMD Turion 64, 2gb ram, 100gbHD(i think), etc...... It seems to be the best deal. I could get the 17" dv8000z series, but it's another $200 but it has a slower processor(2.0ghz Turion), less mem(1gb) and a smaller HDD..... Doesn't seem worth it just for the 17" screen...
    Also checking some Sony's and Dells. But the HP's seem to be more of a multimedia comp compared to the others...

7. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

8. Emmettology 101

9. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member