Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Laptop tech

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MNorby, Apr 27, 2007.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I got a new lineman apprentice job that I leave for 3 nights a week starting next week. As soon as my gooseneck trailer sells I will buy a nice laptop computer. Kinda figuring spending $1000 or so. What do I need to look for and watchout for?

2. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

3. MNorby

Dell would be great, best friend gets a military discount.

4. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

There you go...I get the educational one from my job.

5. MNorby

what about other specs to watch out or be sure to get?

6. BlazerBud

BlazerBud 1/2 ton status

Get built in wireless and dvd burner, get a large USB stick "pen" drive. for transfering files. Get extra batteries.

7. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Do they sell the IBM tuffbooks or something similar? Seems like that would be ideal for field use.

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Panasonic makes a toughbook, but my experience with them has been that they're not that great. Maybe newer generations are better.

If you can find one in a good price range, IBM Thinkpads are still probably the best laptops made.

I had Sony Vaio's for years and found them pretty durable, until my last one, which wore out in the first few months, and I kept it going for 3 years with peices broken off it... I don't recommend a new Vaio anymore.

I just switched to an HP about 2 months ago, and I LOVE it. It was $800 through CDW, has a DVD reader, CD burner, wireless, SD card slot, and an AWESOME screen, the best I've ever had through dozens of laptops. Plus, it "feels" like a thinkpad with a few less bells and whistles (but plenty of others to make up for it).

One of the big things to watch out for on a laptop is the screen. Some of the cheaper models have cheaper displays, and they will fatigue your eyes faster and become annoying to look at after a while. I don't remember the specs to look out for, but when you're actually looking at the screen, they almost have a slight look like the brightness is a little too high and the contrast is a hair off. Kind of a haze that you can't adjust out. My last Vaio came with whatever that screen type was and I got so fed up with it I swapped the display with a retired older model that had a good screen.

If you really think you're going to use the DVD burner, then get it. I got one on my last two Vaio's and used it probably 5 times in 5 years, so I saved the cash, ditched the dvd burner, and upgraded something else when I got the HP. The DVD burner is great in theory, but my experience has been that it rarely gets used on the laptop. I've burned a thousand data DVD's on desktops, it's just a pita on a laptop to me.

Laptops have gotten much cheaper, you should be able to get something pretty stout for under $1000. Dell and HP are both what I recommend to everyday people.

9. MNorby

yeah DVD burner and stuff aren't terribly important to me since my decktop MTMike built me is already setup. Mostly looking for internet access and prob some gaming use. CAD and solidworks, etc.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Just get one that feels good in your lap. Dont worry about gigs and dvd thingys. One that goes up and down with a little rotating action would be nice.