Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Laptop users?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mtnman210, Feb 17, 2006.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

what kind of life to you get out of your battery?
    I have a Compaq Presario V2000 and at a full charge I only get about an hour and a half of life. I use it almost exclusivly for school work. I take it to class to take notes on and use the internet. If I use the cd/dvd player I loose charge quick. In my hour long classes it's fine. But if they're in a row like today, I have to make sure I sit by an outlet to be able ot charge for the next class. However I have a couple 3-4 hour classes and there's no useable outlet to plug into.

Can anyone recommend an aftermarket battery that would last.

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have a Compaq V4000? Not sure of the actual model but it is a 15.4 widescreen w/ wireless networking. I have found that if you do not need the net it helps save battery to turn off the wan transmitter. We use ours on flights with our daughter and with a full charge we can watch a Lord of the Rings Directors Cut so about 3.5 hours before the battery is dead. We have the 12 Cell Li ion.:D

Ira

3. jboyes

jboyes 1/2 ton status

i get about 2 1/2 -3 hours out of the one on my Latitude D810

4. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

My Dell Inspiron 2650 got about 2.5 hrs when it was new. Now I get about 15 minutes. :mad::mad::mad:

Piece of junk battery. I need a new one.

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Just got a new hp.. But not sure how long the batt lasts since I am usually near an outlet all the time.. I'll test it one of these days...

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

My sisters Compaq Presario lasts for about 2.5 hours.

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I get about 1 hour (or one train ride) out of my 2 year or so old Sony Vaio. It's always been about an hour, but I've started shutting down services and taking little steps to save power as time goes on, so it's wearing out. 2 hours a day on battery every weekday for 2 years will do that, though...

If you leave your laptop plugged in/battery charging constantly, it will have a much shorter service life. It's healthy to exercise it now and then, pull the plug and run on battery for a while to keep it conditioned.

8. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I get about 1.5 hours on the newest one I have.Inspiron 9300, but it has a 17 inch widescreen and I keep the brightness all the way up..........have a power supply in the truck for when it's in it.

9. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

Yeah I think thats my problen too. I've got the 15in widescreen and have really tweakwd the settings to make it look good. I guess I could play with the screen settings first to see if I can gain some battery life back.

10. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

I have a 15" screen, but otherwise the same. Have a nice power inverter in the truck when I want to use it.

11. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

toshiba satellite: around 1.5 hours.

I will definately be buying a couple of spares as I use mine for work and we have conferences that last all day. :rolleyes:

12. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

ok I've gained about 20-30mins. I quit using the pulg in wireless network card and only have been using the onboard wireless. Also I turn the onboard wireless off unless I'm need to be on the net. so far it seems like just this is saving quite a bit of battery life.

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

tried running on the battery only last night...

My comp: Hp dv5030us. 2.0ghz AMD Turion 64, 1gb ram, 100gbHDD, 15.4"widescreen, ATI Radeon Xpr200M, wireless, standard battery, etc....

Bought the comp 2-5-06. This is the first time I ran for any length of time on just the batt.

Ran for a little over two hours last night. Started at 10pm and ran til a little after midnight. Durign that time I was conencted to my DSL via wireless. Had my e-mail open(Outlook Express), and 4-5 IE windows(Ck5, Pirate, myspace, etc).. MySpace has alot of graphics and some places I went played music on and off.

Started at 99% charge. When I shut it off, I had 17% of a charge left.

Two things about my comp...

#1 - The screen is dimmer when powered by the battery... Not a huge amount, but you can see the difference...

#2 - The Turion 64 processor uses "PowerNow!" technology..

" The Key Benefits of AMD PowerNow!™ Technology are:
    • Optimizes battery life
    • Provides performance on demand when required by the application
    • Allows the processor to dissipate less heat under normal operating conditions, providing a cooler and quieter-running notebook
    • Operates automatically in the background "
    When using normal programs that dont require much processor power, the processor slows down and doesn't run and top power. This saves on the battery life. For example, with the stuff I was doing last night.. My processor usually runs aroun 1.59Ghz.. But if I use something like Power Point or something that is graphic intense, it bumps up to full power. Pretty cool...

14. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have an HP with the 17" screen and I get about 1 1/2 hours also. I plugged the inverter into the lighter and blew the fuse immediatly so now I have the inverter hard wired in.

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

You should be able to configure that as an option, if not in windows, in the computer's bios. I always keep my screen maxed whether battery or plugged in. I mentally associate dim screens with filthy just because of my job experience...