Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Large compressor location

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by BowtieBlazer, Mar 15, 2006.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I need advice on where to mount a large compressor. Say 60-80gal range. I don't have a shop just a small 6x11 tool shed attached to the carport. I hate to mount it in there because of lack of breathing room and its hot in there already. I was thinking maybe the rafters in the attic above the carport and just drop a roll up air line. Besides noise in the house when it kicks on, and being harder to service, any other drawbacks? The attic has a ridge vent and atleast there it could breath Nothing within 20ft of it in all directions except up

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Build an area for it outside. You can insulate it for noise and freezing temps. Vent traps(or whatever they are called) can be put in the top and botom to keep airflow around it.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

All you really need down here is a cover to keep the rain off. My dad's shop has a tin "roof" mounted on a 2X4 frame that keeps the compressor out of the rain. Slant it down from the back of the house and put the compressor under it on a small concrete pad. Wire it through the wall into the workroom.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

outside!...

I'd mount it outside on a pallet,or skids,,and build a cover over it,or put a small "doghouse" over it..having a compressor inside the garage is a PITA,its noisy,and wastes space..nothing worse than trying to carry on a conversation and having the compressor kick on!..I've almost had a few disasters at shops I worked at,when I would yell for someone to kill an engine because something was leaking,etc,and they couldn't hear me thanks to the compressor running..:doah:

I'd say a house attic is no place for it either..it'd shake the rafters loose after awhile,drive everone in the house nuts,and its pretty hot in most attics,not the best environment for it..plus a compressor tank that size weighs 400+ pounds!--got a crane to hoist it up there??...:crazy:

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I put an exaust fan in the ceiling of my comp room and a cold air intake along the bottom of the wall.

6. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

And run an open refridgerator as well...??

Hadn't given much thought to the doghouse add on to the back wall on the extra slab. hum... great idea....I didn't like the rafter idea but couldn't think of much else. I'm sure with normal use it'll be okay to the humidity elements?

7. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

I have a small 20 gal oilless direct drive and it was loud as hell. I put it under my workbench with a remote power switch and a remote drain with a ball valve at the end of copper tubing. I put ceiling tile around it on top of 1/8 inch wood. This significantly lowered the sound level.

P1020460 (Small).JPG

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007