Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

large hub d44

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85burbanator, May 14, 2005.

1. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i got a large hub 8 lug d44 front axle today and was wondering why the hub is so big. its like, twice the size of the hubs on most of the chevies ive seen. could it be cause its from the late 70's? are they stronger/weaker? tia
    mike

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

No to sound like a smart azz are you sure it is a 44 all of the 44s I have seen have hubs that look just like a 10 bolt be it 6 or 8 lug. If so I dont think I can help you :o

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

D60's look exactly like d44's but bigger....

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Ya the new ones are ball joint also. Maybe you got lucky. A ball joint 60 is better than a 44 even though it dont have kingpins.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

What you got is a 1st design D44. Made from about 71-77. They have a smaller inner bearing then a 2nd design D44 or 10-bolt. The outter bearings are the same and so are the seals and spindle kit (BK1). When you get a 8-lug 1st design D44 it will come with those large bolt on external locking hubs. They arn't exactly weak but the bolts like to back out. Make sure you clean out the threads with brake cleaner and use red locktite on them.

6. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Not really. Since we are talking GM, all 60's will have kingpins. Locking hubs are alot different if you know what you are looking at (big hub D44 vs. D60). Not to mention the 2 studs instead of a 4th ubolt. And that spring perch cast into the housing. And the bigger brakes.

7. 85burbanator

i know it isnt a d60 because it has 4 u bolts instead of three. i onnly plan on running it till i can afford a d60 which shouldnt be to long. it has spicer hubs on it right now, are the pretty strong due to the fact that there spicer? are the shafts and every thing else the same as a small hub d44? i might toss some stronger shafts in there at one point. main reason for purcahse was the flat top knuckles :cool1: cross over steering is in the near future and i dont have to get anything machined.

8. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Ive seen a few of those front ends too I wouldent mind having one either... they seem to have really strong hubs.

9. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

the plastic caps are the weak link. there is a small dowel pin that is molded with the plastic cap that breaks away from the cap making the hubs no longer work. IIRC when i breaks it leaves the hub engaged.

the warn replacement external hubs are junk. they are an even worse design. avoid them at all costs, even if they hare shiny gold and say warn premium.

10. 85burbanator

it has spicer hubs on it right now. maybe ill take it apart and make sure the plastic pin isnt busted like you said. every thing turned fine.

11. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

the dowel pin i was referring to is metal, it sets inside the plastic cap.

ive heard of epoxying pvc in the caps to renforce them

do not use brakeclean or carb clean on the plastic caps, i learned that lesson the hard way.

12. 85burbanator

these ones appeared to be made of metal. by cap are you refering to the knob that you turn, or the outer housnig of the hub? or is it internal?

13. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Those large external hubs are actually the small bearing spindle and hub design and only found on 3/4 tons. They will be marginally weaker than a large bearing spindle and hub from a 10 bolt, but not enough to worry about.

The axleshafts are the same strength from 73-87 no matter which version you have. Trick to making the axleshafts last is to spot weld the u-joint bearing caps into the yokes. When they get stressed to the max the yoke tends to distort and spit out the bearing cap then doing more damage after that possibly. The spot weld can help keep that from happening so quick.

14. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

Dana 44 external hubs

Just sold a 77 8 lug with "big hubs" . With it went a set of factory drive flanges that are a must when wheeling this style diff. Had problems keeping hubs together till I found them. No more "bang" from hubs just from joints!

Jeff

15. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

My 70 and 71 have an external hub dana44s. Prone to coming loose, although the hubs is held on w/ 3/8" bolts, they are long which puts leverage on the hub. Check them often. My 71 has the milemarker selectro hubs which use a shorter bolt but is still weaker than the internal style.

16. 85burbanator

these ones are spicer units. not sure if they are stock or not. whats the factory drive flange? i forget part names but i know they when i see em. i got the axles at my storage place up the road so next weekend i think ill go up there and look at the hubs alittle. maybe show the ole lady how to fix em so she can do the work and i can drink more beer :D

17. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Full time 4x4 drive flanges go in place of the hubs on full time 4x4's. If it's gonna be an off road only veh. then that's the way to go.