Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

large hub dana 44 ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by baldbandit, Apr 25, 2001.

1. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

I read on a previous post that the 3/4 ton large hub dana 44's are weaker than a regular 44. Is this true? How come? I "thought" that since the large hub was only used on 3/4 ton's that it would have been stonger than the smaller 44's. Does this make the large hub 44 weaker than the 3/4 ton 10 bolt's? Sorry for all the ?'s!

thanks
    baldbandit

"Have you outdriven a F**D lately?"

Check out my site!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.baldbandit.coloradok5.com>http://www.baldbandit.coloradok5.com</A>

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

In my opinion, they may be a little weaker because they are a two piece hub body. They use those studs to hold the body to the bearing hub. Some people replace these with standard bolts and with hard use, the bolts could shear off. Thats a weak point of having the bolts shear off when if you have the internal hub, its all one body and alot stronger since the lock out hub sits inside the bearing hub. Those big two piece lock outs are the external hub.
    Matter of fact, I just installed some brand new Mile Marker external lock outs onto a D44 3/4 ton axle today. I didnt have any studs so I installed grade 8 bolts and lockwashers. This axle is not going to see hard core use, so moderate playing and driving on street will let it live a full life.

3. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

Thanks, my axles won't see hard use either. I thought i had a stonger axle than the 1/2 ton 44, and to find out other wise is sort of dissapointing. Oh well, what am i gripping about. I only paid $100 for the donor truck that supplied the axles! Talk about a deal! The body was junk, but i saved the 3/4 ton lwb frame ( I have a lwb 2 wheel drive that may eventually be put on the frame!). I also sold a few misc. parts and saved the door panels since they were in good condition!

thanks
    baldbandit

"Have you outdriven a F**D lately?"

Check out my site!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.baldbandit.coloradok5.com>http://www.baldbandit.coloradok5.com</A>

4. thatK30guy

Dont give up with that D44 just yet! You can go to a parts store and order or get some new bearing hubs and rotors to replace those external type hubs and put the internal type bearing hub in place of those. I can get the bearing hub/ rotor assembly for around $95.00 each. Still cheaper to get these brand new pieces than looking for another axle.

5. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Hey Wes,
    I too have the large exteral hubs on my D44. Are you saying that I can change it to a enternal style hub? And you can get the stuff I would need to do that for $95.00 per side? What else would I need, if anything, and what exactly would I be changing out? Thanks for the help.

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

6. extremeblazer

extremeblazer 1/2 ton status

I have the internal hubs on my K5 but am going to install a set of external hubs next week. I plan on using them as a test to see if they break, before the Dana 60 goes in. Many people on this site have had good and bad luck with both styles. I ride with two people that have external hubs and they have yet to break them. One of the trucks has a 454 and has snaped two axle shafts but not the hubs.If they break get internals but the externals look awsome.

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna be running that same setup on mine. I'm not real woried about it, but if I do break a hub, I've still got the drive flanges for backups. you WON'T break one of those. It's not really the setup that I wanted, but it'll work for me. I wanted the internal style due to the fact I've got 3 sets of those hubs at the house.

Kyle
    89K5

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

My friend has the external hubs on his '71 3/4 ton 44.. He breaks the dial knobs all the time.... They are plastic so I can see why they break, but he gets new dials at the local Ford Dealer for about $10..... Other than that, nothing breaks...

Mike - <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>[​IMG]

9. thatK30guy

Depending on what year you current axle is, you could get by just swapping new bearing hub/rotor in place of those old big external hubs. Just depends on the year of your axle because of different spindle sizes. Other than that, you would need to get or purchase some new or different lock out hubs too. Now you would be going with the internal lock outs, even the ones on the 1/2 tons will work for the new 3/4 ton hub/rotor.