Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Larger than stock wheel lug studs **Done**

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zcarczar, Jun 17, 2004.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Ok, Im at the point where ive had it with these puny 7/16-20 wheel studs on the front of my blazer and would like to upgrade the front to match the back which is later style GM 14MM. Ive been looking and looking and looking and havent found anything that will work. I dont mind having to ream the holes larger on my hubs, I just want a larger wheel stud so I dont have different sized wheel studs all over my truck, and the 14mm ones seem to take changing tires often much better than the 7/16 studs do. Anybody have any ideas? The boneheads at my local parts stores look at me like im crazy when I tell them what I want to do, and ask to look at their books.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: Larger than stock wheel lug studs

Summit sells ARP wheel studs. Look into circle track racing stores as well. Not sure about 14mm but I know our studs on the car are different than a standard GM stud.

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

What size are they? 5/8"? I dont mine running that large, I just dont know if they will fit through the wheel opening and if the lug nuts will still work with my chitty aluminum wheels that i use for the street.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hmm looked around, all I came up with was 5/8". Seems to be what we run on the car as well.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I know that as a parts counterman I was often told to avoid selling any parts that were not listed for the vehicle,especially in the case of critical parts like brake hoses,wheel studs,etc,they feared lawsuits from death and destruction resulting from theese substitutions--but I would always take the catolog and put it on the counter and let he customer decide what he wanted(an unpopular move my boss didnt like--until he saw the amount of cash they'd spend!)and I wrote a small disclaimer on the sales slip.
    I have a dorman catolog in the shop somewhere--I'll see if I can dig up a number for you that might work.I am not familiar with the new metric studs,but if your willing to rework the holes in your axle flanges I would think they'd go right in-. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Swap in a D60 and 14bff with 9/16" studs /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Chris

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Swap in a D60 and 14bff with 9/16" studs

[/ QUOTE ]

Typical response, Why spend $50 and a few hours labor, when I can spend $5,000 and a few days of solid labor to get the same results. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

The parts counterman in my area are all pretty dumb, they cant even look up the right front driveshaft u-joint for my 89 V Blazer, let alone look in a book.

8. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

I have converted almost every truck I have to 5/8-18. Mostly used the ARP Studs on the race trucks but have also used some from NAPA. They have a catalog that lists a dozen different 5/8-18 studs, so you can find the right one for you.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My catolog only had the applicactions and knurl size listed--no lengths listed--aint that a big help!.There isnt anything close to the .472 knurl size with bigger threads,so you'll probably have to go with the 5/8 studs like he said--my friend wanted to put alumunum wheels on his 1/2 ton 2wd 94 chevy with the 14 mm studs--he decided not to when he saw how thin the special shouldered lug nuts wall thickness was--they were real scary,only about 1/16 of an inch thick---definately not something he'd want to tow or wheel with!. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

10. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Steve Frisbe used 1/2 inch studs on all of his half ton stuff when he had the yellow blazer. You might convince the local parts boys to let you use some calipers and search through their Dorman boxes.
    Blake

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

What have you got for a rear end? 14SF?

Look at studs from an 87-older 14SF (8-lug) they will be 9/16". If they have the same knurl size, that should give you better selection for front studs than 14mm. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I had some 14mm studs laying around that I was going to use on my 10b before I changed to 8 lug. So I gave him those. I am sure he will respond with how it comes out after he is done.

13. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Well I finally got around to installing the new wheel studs. I needed a 39/64's and a 41/64's drill bit to drill out the wheel hub and brake rotor to fit the new wheel stud. They are also about 3/8" longer than stock so I can run a little wheel spacer for some better clearance with my Iroks and 3.5" backspace wheels. Oh yeah, the part number for the 14MM wheel studs is 98564.1, I Have no idea where they are from but I think they are from Kragen. So far they work nice, and are a lot bigger.