Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Las Vegas And Surrounding Area Members - Help Needed

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 4by4bygod, Sep 3, 2006.

1. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Hey all - I have a good friend who wants to relocate to your area from Northeast Ohio, with his wife and 3 camaros.

He needs some ideas for places to look for work.. his background is being a production supervisor for manufacturing operations. Currently he's working for an industrial spring manufacturer, but he has skills that transfer to any sort of production facility.

On his last trip out there, he looked thru the want ads, and found a lot of openings for service industry stuff, but that isn't what he wants.

Is there any manufacturing of anything going on in the area? If you know of any places he can send a resume, or better yet, if you own or work for a place that might use him, can you PM me any info?

Tom

2. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

should I take the lack of response as saying that you guys out there are so sick of immigrants, you don't even want one from cleveland? He speaks english, I guarantee it.

Tom

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Disclaimer: I'm not from NV, so no real local knowledge.
    That being said my impression is that there is more manufacturing going on up in the Sparks/Reno area than in LV. Marrs Candy has a plant near LV, there's likely other stuff there too.
    My advice would be to find places that he might like to work for and send them resume's rather than trying to find someplace advertising. Never know, one place might not know they need him until they see his resume.
    Would be worth having a pro build the resume if he's not good with that sort of thing.

4. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the heads up.. I will forward the info.. your advice is dead on, as far as him finding places he might want to work at, rather than relying on the want ads.. the best jobs usually aren't advertised.

I did up a resume for him, and did a lot of interview coaching with him. ( I used to be a headhunter, and I do resumes for friends and family still)..

In hindsight, I should have sent him out there with a list of companies to apply to, and not just let him find his own leads when he got there.. he pretty much wasted 2 weeks out there last month, because he was just spinning his wheels..

Anyway, I asked him if he was still serious about making the move, and he said he was, so now we do it my way. Thanks again for the insight.

Tom

5. broke73

broke73 1/2 ton status

There is a brand new blown film (plastics) plant in Henderson which is about 12 miles from the strip don't know if there hiring but you might want to check it out. It's called Poly-west it's a division of Poly-america they're a pretty big company and seem to be ok to work for.

6. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Thanks!

7. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Timet... its a titanium factory out in henderson. i dont know much about that industry, sorry.

8. LVJimmy

LVJimmy 1/2 ton status

Timet is looking for Supervisors. Pay is OK but you can buy titanium at a discount.

9. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the Timet lead, guys.. I'm forwarding these to my friend as I get them..I spoke to him saturday, and he wanted me to say thanks for posting up..

I told him that the best way to be thankful is to actually follow up on these things and try to make something happen.

Tom