Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Last Death Wobble Update.....I hope.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rlhenry, May 18, 2002.

1. rlhenry

rlhenry Registered Member

Well, DW is finally gone. Changing the tie rod ends made a big difference, but it was still there. Granted it didn't happen very often with the new steering components, I could 'feel' the potential on bumps and every once in a while it would go into DW. The final piece was the dual steering stabilizer kit I installed last night. It firmed up the feel in the steering and I have yet to get the system to wobble. I'll take it for some moderate wheeling today and see how it responds when it gets back on the road, but I'm fairly confident that it is gone.....for now. The old single stabilizer was shot.

For those of you not familiar with this Odyssey, here's what has been done to eliminate DW. ORD weld-on steering box kit, ORD bolt on steering box kit, new drag links, new tie rod ends, toe adjustments, removal of 2.5 degree shims (Hill extended shackles), removal of PS belt to run without power assist, new shackle-to-frame bushings, tire/wheel balancing, changing spindle bearing torque, new steering stabilizers, banging my head against a brick wall, and contemplating an "I don't know how it caught on fire" insurace claim. I'm still going to get the sway bar correction/dissconnect kit as I spoke of in an earlier post.....a post that no one responded to. Now I know what it feels like to put something up and have no one respond!

If any of you have ideas as to what kind of front end problems are encountered by not correcting the sway bar location after a lift, drop me a line. The old post I mentioned above outlines some of my ideas, whatever that's worth!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

a post that no one responded to. Now I know what it feels like to put something up and have no one respond!

<hr></blockquote>

I'll save you having nobody respond on this thread...

I think it's just become a subject we're all sick of reading about...glad you got a handle on your DW though/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Rene

3. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

I haven't responded to anything in months, just too busy. But your post is a good follow-up to this problem. Haven't experienced DW myself but all this info is good to know. I bet the "banging your head against the wall" did the most improvement. Just kidding.../forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    Good post.

4. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

I know that I and many others are NOT tired of reading about DW issues. I am happy for anyone that does not have DW- OR has found some sort of band aid to at least live with it.

I think that most of the people here don't even know what true DW is. I think many people are mis-labeling their problems. DW is not a vibration, or a shimmy or a shutter. It is a downright frightening situation that unfortunately some of us have to deal with. Once DW starts, you cannot drive out of it. It will not come and go. Once the cyclic action starts, you must come to a complete stop. It looks and feels as though the front axle is going to come out from under the front of the vehicle- first to left then to the right- very fast. I would not wish this to happen to my worst enemy.

From his post, I believe that Ryan knows what DW is and is tring to do the best he can to deal with it. Congratulations on the time without DW....Maybe some day I will find the fix for DW and market it and make a million....(yeah right, keep dreamin').

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

What exactly is DW

6. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

I hear ya I had DW for about a week and it was bad. But I cured my truck with new wheel bearings new ps pump and new stab and luckily it has'nt come back yet. I know the feeling of being scared to drive your own truck..good luck....

7. rlhenry

rlhenry Registered Member

Run a search on Death Wobble and you will find numerous strings of posts regarding this problem. It's basically and uncontrollable side to side oscillation of the front steering/suspension components that typically happens at speeds between 15 and 30 mph. It's not to be confused with brake pulsation or the high speed vibration due to tire/wheel balance; it's much worse.

8. thebigdaddyof2

In my '89, if I hit a bump up to 25 mph, the front end just shutters...not quite DW. If I'm doing 30 to 35 mph, cyclic DW will start (with &amp; without a bump) and will continue until I come back to a complete stop. If I accelerate through the 30 to 35 mph range quickly, I can sometimes get up to hwy speeds and then be just fine. It is the most obserd thing I have ever had to deal with. Fortunately, my new hydraulic cylinder will be in this week. Hopefully, this will be my band aid. Ryan, if you ever find a fix, send me a PM.

9. topless1tonk5

topless1tonk5 Registered Member

i put on my 38's today and my dw is way worse to the point that the truck is'nt even driveable! this is the worst problem i have ever had to deal with. i personaly dont think there is a cure for death wobble other than a custom made track bar that will cause articulation loss,although, i think every little thing from wheel bearings to steering boxes to bushings can help. today i tried a stiffer stableizer and i seemed to really help but not cure, this leads me to believe that a dual stableizer might work and maybe stiffer shackles. if i find anything that works ill post it asafp! j.c.

10. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

When you went to the 38s, did you swap from radials to bias tires? If you did, you have to change your toe in measurement. Its different between the two. I am still thinking that this may be a common problem with a lot of the guys experiencing this. If you go from radial tires to bias ply, you HAVE to adjust the toe in. Talk to a tire shop and they will tell you which way to go. I believe you go in more for the bias. I used to have to turn the adjust sleeve 1 full turn in when I put on the Swamper TSL SXs or DW would result.

Try it.
    Mike

11. topless1tonk5

thx for the suggestion, no- i did not adj. the toe in, i checked it and it was dead centered, it also had dw with my bfg's althogh not as bad. so you think i need to toe it in a hair? i was go to go to a salvage yard today and pull a panhard/track bar off a new dodge 1ton and try that, i would just have to dissconnect it for wheelin. thx--j.c.

12. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I believe you have to move it in. However, Id call your local tire shop or alignment shop and ask just to make sure. Its been a while since I used Swampers on the front. They beat up too many balljoints!

Good Luck
    Mike

13. thebigdaddyof2

I have tried toe in, toe out, dead straight....more caster, less caster....all with no change. At least on mine, what tires I have on the vehicle does not matter either.....DW with 2 diff sets of 31's and even worse with the 35" Swampers. I just got my new hyd cylinder yesterday. I hope IT is the band-aid.

14. thebigdaddyof2

On the thought of track bars, Stephen Watson used to run a 10 bolt front axle with crossover and had a fabricated track bar. He reported that it did not really fix the problems but only created others by ripping/cracking that portion of the frame out.

15. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

Something that helped the DW in my K30. Check the crossmember rivets and especially the front spring hangers. Mine would wiggle if you pushed side to side with the front end off the ground. Some grade 8 bolts and welding fixed the problem.

Good Luck

16. thebigdaddyof2

Prjt_blzr;
    Interesting, thanks for the info. I searched the frame for movement and flex (and I'm sure I looked at the rivets) but I will take another, closer look. I may even go ahead and tack weld as needed. Fill out your profile so we know a little about you.

Did this cure or only help your situation?

17. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

I know someone that had a serious DW problem, and added a track bar, it made no difference at all.

18. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

It cured the DW. I went from having to stomp on the brakes to prevent the front end from coming apart, to having to just deal with warped rotors. I need to replace the rotors one day but...

Also read the previous posts on DW. I changed the PS pump a few weeks before my DW got really bad. Maybe the steering box and pump pressures do play into this. I was conteplating changing the steering box but no need to now.

You really should have two people to check for flex at the mounts. Lift or support the truck by the frame rails and push side to side in a quick push. If the rivits are loose, then use lots of welding or bolts and welding to fix.

Good luck

I've not been here for a while and it looks like my profile got lost. I'll update soon.

19. thebigdaddyof2

Well, I can say that in my case, a different box had no change what so ever. The box I installed was a used box that I put seals in and bolted up. No change at all. Still looking at the rivets...

20. topless1tonk5

i put new shackles and bushing on mine today and it made a huge difference! but it is still there although no near as scary, i also tried caster and toe adj. today but they didnt make much difference.