Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Last of the line can't join up?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Aug 28, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Alright, someone told me something last night that I had never heard before. He said, if you are the youngest male in your family with your last name, you cannot join up. I had never ever heard this before so I think its bull****, and part of my family that is military through and through has always encouraged me to join up. Though I have no plans of doing so, I was wondering, would I not be allowed to? I am the youngest Mandic, in fact there is only one other Mandic to carry on the name(my cousin that is older) and I believe his son is named after his mother.

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have not heard that. What I think they are reffering to is that if you and your Brother are in the same branch of the military then both of you will not be sent to the battle front at the same time. There is no requirement like that to join that I am aware of. If one of you gets killed then I believe the surviving child will not see combat. I am not sure of the specifics but it is close to that. It was implemented after WWII when fathers/sons and brothers where on the same ship that sank and all were lost. There was even a father/son that are still entombed on the USS Arizona.

Ira

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I will ask one of the guys from work that used to be a Recruiter to see what the rule is.

Ira

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Ah, Saving Private Ryan like eh? Hmm, wonder what that means for my friend Mininger... His brother was KIA in Iraq, he has joined but hasn't even gone to training yet. I'm sure he wants to be sent into Iraq, hmm...

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

It's BS. I was the only son and am the last in the family line and the Army had no problem taking me. Of course they kind of made those points clear to me.

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I think what they're trying to say is that there's enough Mandic's in the military now. :haha:

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Over the past couple years, I've seen quite a few articles on usmc.mil about brothers (and at least one brother-sister) being in the sandbox together. Not in the same units, but still in-country together. I'm sure the other branches have some too...
    Never heard the thing about "last of the line" spoken by anyone actually in the Armed Forces...

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

figured as much

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

figured as much

There can never be enough Mandic's :) Heck at the moment I don't think there are any in. Not from my direct family for certain, would be interesting to know how many Mandics are out there.

10. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I thought it was something like that. I did however not know that siblings were in the **** together. Maybe they are different branches of service? I dunno. It is a risk we all take when we take the oath.

Ira

12. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

I believe the meaning got twisted. Back in the days of the draft, you could not be DRAFTED if you were the last or only male heir. You could still enlist, but more people were looking for ways to avoid going.
    O/T There were a lots of strange loopholes to get out of the draft, like going to college [for those rich enough], being the sole means of support for your family [so you could be the oldest son supporting younger siblings and not have to go] , homosexuality, and having a criminal record. There is an old song by Arlo Guthrie call Alice's Restauarant that covered the last one pretty well. I don't know how to find old songs like that or I would give you a link. The law used that last one pretty well also. If you got into trouble with the law for the first time, you often got a choice. Go to war or go to jail. :haha: The only other tactic used to avoid going overseas was to enlist in a branch with low percentages over there like the Coastguard [although they served over there also.] Most draftees served in the Marines and Army.

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

im the youngest male in the family with my last name. also the only male in my family whith my last name that is able to have kids. my dads bro doesnt have kids, nor does his sister as it wouldnt matter normaly anyway.

i have 7 years eservice in... its BS whoever is telling you this.
    Grant

14. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

The "only son" rule. You cannot be forced into military service. I fell under that rule, but I enlisted anyway.

John