Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LAST QUESTION

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82_k5, Jun 1, 2004.

1. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

I know i've asked a lot of questions over the last couple of days. This is the last one....I hope. Here's the scoop. I currently have an 82 blazer with a 305. I got my hands on a 69 station wagon with a crate 350 that was originally designed for a mid 80's truck. It has the old cars manifold and carb on it which look a lot different and a little smaller than my 305 carb. I have two questions, the first one is how much horsepower should this motor put out? My second question is would it help/hurt/or do nothing to the performance if i put my 305 stuff on? It seems like it would be a lot easier to hook everything up with the newer carb/manifold. Thanks guys, sorry for all the stupid questions. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You've REALLY got to be careful micing and matching the engine components from the 80's.

Dropped a 1987 305 into his 1983 1 ton that had a worn out 350. The manifolds weren't the same, and actually hit the valve covers. Not a huge difference, but enough. They were obviously different castings. You also deal with the problem in some cases of the bolt holes for the manifolds.

I'm not clear on this aspect, but some use 7 bolts I believe, while others use 6. Again, I'm sure someone out here knows what used what, but it is a complication in some cases.

3. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

I think the difference you're talking about between the 87 manifold and the 83 manifold is that the 83 was carbed while the 87 had tbi. This may not be true, hopefully someone else will chime in.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Ok mid 80's block would have passenger side dipstick you need. Bolt on your intake and exhaust manifolds and you should be ok. I am assuming here it was a early 80's motor with 2 piece rear seal and that the heads have all your required accesory holes. These were called Goodwrench Targetmaster, I think. Is the engine down on the ground? Snap some pics if you can. That motor will put out more than your 305 for sure, horsepower wont really matter, its the torque those extra 45 cubes add. It will be a night and day difference.

Was the 69 manual or automatic? The flexplate/flywheel and starter may need changed. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

It says target master 350 on both valve covers so that's what it is. The car it came out of was an auto so that shouldn't be too bad. So will my 305 manifold and carb be an improvement or not hurt the performance too bad? If that's the case than i think i'll do that. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Carb is actually technically too big for your 305 anyway, it flows enough for your 350. They only ( speaking of NON computer carbs here ) came in 750 or 850 cfm ratings. The jets/rods/ hangers were changed for different apps, but you will be fine Im sure, especially if you sometimes run rich anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif