Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

last time on this tach!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NoSmog73, Nov 22, 2001.

1. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Ok here goes? trying to hook up this tach and it powers up and the wires ore like this ,one to the neg side of the coil and one to the ground on the alt.braket one on the 12v switch (fuse panel) ok about the coil wires on the +side there is one black wire and on the -side there are 2 wires a brown and a black one is this right .Just trying to see why this tach isn't working thanks for any help

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Tachs are usually very easy to install... What kind is this one (IE: Autometer, SunPro, Etc.)? Did you get the wiring diagram or no? Are you running new wires or are you using factory wiring and er-routing it?

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm>http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm</a>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s

3. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

My tach is an Autometer and it's wired like this, Red is ignition power, Black is chassis ground, White is lights, Green is negative side of the coil or on HEI there's a tach plug. There is also 2 other wires comming out of the tach which are for 4 or 6 cyclinder hookups. You cut certain wires for different numbers of cyclinders. You can also try Autometers website. Good luck.

4. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

it is the autometer tach #2301 and the wires are like thiswhite to the panel lights the red wire is to the fuse panel the black is to the slt. bracket ground and the green is to the - on the coil and the switches are set for the 8cyl I just don't get it this is the 2nd one this week???

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I would check the ground and hot wire to make sure they are getting power at the tach. Next check and make sure that the green wire is getting power at the tach from the coil. If that doesnt work then buy a MSD 6al box and hook it up to that.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

6. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

get this? I hooked the neg.led for the tach to the +side of the coil what gives???????? oh ya and it work's now??

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Its always the little things that keep it from working.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

8. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

any chance your coil may be wired up backwards? the neg. side of the coil is supposed to be the wire that goes to the distributor(triggered by the points or ignition module) the positive side comes from the ignition. if it is working when hooked to the positive side of the coil it could be backwards. it may be beneficial to hook it up correctly.