Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Last time... SUGG. CAM SPECS

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Oct 5, 2001.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

OK, last time I hope. I need cam suggestions for my BBC 454. I just found out that my lovely motor chewed up my last cam (CompCams - 11-235-3). Many people have learned that this cam SUCKED for me application.

Here is what I have about my current engine combo:
    * Edelbrock Air-Gap intake w/750cfm Holley (soon to be QJET)
    * STOCK bottom end
    * STOCK Oval heads & springs

Let me know if you folks need anything else. You can get Engine Analyzer off my FTP at <a target="_blank" href=http://ftp://CK5@24.10.209.54>My FTP Site</a>Thanks for all suggestions! (remove the http:// from the address after you click).

<font color=red>Just give me a tank, and point me in the right direction!</font color=red>
    <font color=blue>DONT MESS WITH AMERICA!</font color=blue>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

OK I was just playing with the engine analyzer. They do not list CC cams by PN so I couldn't baseline what you had.

You didn't mention CR so I used 9 to 1. Stock oval port heads, perfomance dual plane manifold and Holley 750. The best combo I found for low end grunt was the XR258HR from Comp Cams. Yes it is a roller cam. *ducking* [​IMG]

Horsepower peaked at 427 @ 5000 RPM.
    Torque was very good, 352 @1500, 393 @ 2000, 452 @2500, 457 @ 3000, 471 @3500, 494 @4000, 486 @ 4500.

I ran the numbers on pump gas (87 octane), open headers, and the cam installed straight up. I left the rocker ratio stock at 1.7 to 1.

The best non-roller cam had over 50 ft/lbs less torque off idle than this cam. If the engine analyzer is to be trusted the roller cam would give you a huge bang for the buck.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

3. KRAZIE87K5

Wow... that is a huge difference... Wonder what the price difference is??? Let me check at Jegs...

$270 for the cam vs $100, $250 for the lifters, $80 for springs, etc etc etc, so over all its just a FEW extra dollars for me to ante up to all the roller BBC folks out there! Hats off to you folks, you must have gotten your wives' really drunk you placed that order![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Anyhow, reality tells me I will be installing the meanest hydralic cam I can find. The roller $$$$ is too much for me to bear. Had I not just rear-disc'd and crossed over the truck, the roller might have flown a little better here, but there is no chance in hell at this current time! [​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks for the kick @ss roller find, but I have to stay non-roller for now! [​IMG] Do I hear any other suggestions? [​IMG]

<font color=red>Just give me a tank, and point me in the right direction!</font color=red>

4. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

5. KRAZIE87K5

To Rene's credit, look at the diffference between his suggested cam vs my current cam! [​IMG]

Roller[​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks Rene, that makes someone really think about what they are loosing for a $400 difference... the ONLY thing changed between the two dyno sheets is the cam! Its almost unbelieveable!!!!!

6. tRustyK5

I'll see if I can't find another decent cam that isn't roller this time...[​IMG]

Rene

7. KRAZIE87K5

The guys sells himself a little too much on that site, but he is correct. A computer can certainly find the "BEST" cam for any given combo. The only thing stopping you from doing the same as David, is a $hit load of math that his computer can answer for you.

His services are priced fairly at $35, but chances are you will not find a production cam that will match the optimum specs he will recommend. Therefore, you now paid $35 for cam specs that you can only have if he custom grinds a cam for you. &gt;$200... not too interested, can he really beat the specs of the roller cam I list above? For an everyday driver? Maybe... but Im not convinced.

8. KRAZIE87K5

DAMN YOU RENE[​IMG], you make me want to wait for the roller... I would have to park her until December to come up with those clams! But there is no way to argue against those dyno sheets!

9. tRustyK5

Try this one out...almost the same numbers but in a hydraulic flat tappet cam.

Comp Cams 255DEH

339 @1500, 385 @2000, 448 @2500 ETC. ETC

Horsepower comes in at 411 @ 4500...[​IMG]

Smaller can be better, and I've heard good things about dual pattern cams, especially with stock heads.

Rene

10. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

David Vizard does not grind cams he just specs them out for people. He has writen a ton of books on small block chevys and really know what he is doing. We just got a cam for www.rustbucket.rockcrawler.com
    Nitro Fumes makes me Horrrrny

11. KRAZIE87K5

<a target="_blank" href=http://24.10.209.54/images/86truck/dyno/rene1.gif>Nice Choice Rene!!!</a>

I like your taste in cams! STILL kick ass power, and the price is half that if the roller! Good job! You only like COMP Cams? [​IMG] huh? Can't you do better than that??? [​IMG]

12. tRustyK5

I do like Comp Cams...I have been very happy with the one in my 350.
    How can you argue with such a flat torque curve?[​IMG]

Rene

13. KRAZIE87K5

No no no... I am not doubting anyone's work here at all! I am no one to talk! My first cam selection failed, literally, and I certainly can not claim to have the lifetime experience that these folks have. I just am not too sure that their services are in "my league".

I certainly DO NOT mean to insult or bash anyone's work, and apologize if i have done so.

14. KRAZIE87K5

LMAO! You just can't argue! If you look close, the flat cam peaks QUICKER than the roller cam does! That is awesome!

15. tRustyK5

Here's one by Blue Racer...slightly beter numbers believe it or not.

BLR BBChev WG-1104...again straight up.

Rene

16. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

No offence taken at all. I have worked up some info on my engine program. I have the Engine Expert by Allan Lockheed. I have not figure out how to read the cam setup on it but this is the power it is showing. 3565rpm it made 297Hp and 438 ft#'s. This the max torque the engine will make. At 4706rpm it made 365hp and 408 ft#'s. This engine would be 92% effiecent. You will need 230 cfm on the Air flow at 28". This is accessible air flow. So the cam has to be phased there at the right spot. The carb you need is 650-700 cfm.

Donovan
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rustbucket.rockcrawler.com>www.rustbucket.rockcrawler.com</a>

17. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Hey Rene try some of these. www.rustbucket.rockcrawler.com

18. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Donovan...correct me if I'm wrong...and I GUARANTEE I'm wrong. But a hunch says we're paralelling the stock type specs on some of the mid 70's torque beast motors in the big boats. I.E. the big cube motors with the barely big-enough carbs...due to airflow and efficiency issues. Keep vacuum high,(28") and cfm lower to promote these big-blocks going crazy in a certain sweet spot? I love this! We may be on to something here!!! There was a post yesterday about the motors in the mid-70's big boats which really hit home. They were BEASTS!!!

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive

19. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Ahhhhhh.....finally, someone who understands and agrees with me!!! [​IMG]

<font color=red>I'm a "black top mudder"!!!</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

20. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Was that YOU? K30? I agree that them beastly stock motors were just AMAZING!! I remember in the early 80's racing a 74 Olds 98 against a 75 Buick 225. These things were amazing...6 guys in each car pouring mixed drinks while smoking the tires down the road!! These cars were at least 20 feet long and 7 feet wide! They had room for about 10 people!!!

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive