Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Last year for non-emissions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUB-ZERO, Jun 25, 2005.

1. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

What was the last year for non-emissions for a K5?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'm not positive, but it might be per area.

My sisters 80 K5 only has cats where my buddies 89 K5 has motor stuff and no cats stock from the factory :dunno:

3. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

I was originally thinkin somewhere around 76 or 74.

4. wicked87_k5

wicked87_k5 1/2 ton status

I beleive it was 76. I had 2 77 K5's both were completely stock when i got them. 1 was early 77 built in 76 had no cats, other was late 77 definatly had a cat.

5. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

If still has some stickers on it or the gas gauge says unleaded fuel only then it had cats. stickers say catalyist then had a cat. Egrs were way back my 73 came with an egr. If you are talking about how old do they test it is different from state to state or even county to county. Here if it is over 25 no testing and if over 20 no title is needed just a bill of sale. And i'm just in the counties that are testing all the counties south of me do not have to test yet. But good fine if caught regitering in a different county than you live.

6. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

EGRs, smog pumps and other stuff date way back. I looked at a 65 Ford with a smog pump many years ago. I had a 64 Ford that had nothing smog related on it. But who knows ... may have been from a state with no smog requirements, may have been that it was a passenger vehicle and not a truck or maybe because it was a 6 cyl. Good question though, I have a feeling the answer is more complicated than just a sigle year when it all started.

Eric M.

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i am state inspector and the state says when its old and doesnt need to be checked. after the year thay say then do what you want. and if emissions then only what it came from the factory with. but 96 and newer is hooked up to the state computer now to check all the stuff. all this only is for upstate ny. city diffrent rules.

8. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Emissions

If by "Emissions" you mean with or without catalytic converters, then that would be 1978.

9. google

google 1/2 ton status

You mean when I had my first car (78 buick century station wagon) I coulda hooked it up with straight pipes? DAMN, I coulda hotrodded my station wagon!!

10. LongIslander26

Emissions

No, trucks were exempt until 1978 because they were considered as mainly "Commercial vehicles". Cars had to have them starting in 1973. As more people started buying trucks because the cars had all their power sapped out of them by the new emissions standards, the Feds went back and included light trucks in the same emissions catagory, and so in 1979 the cats started showing up on light trucks. So your Buick would've had to stay as it was.

11. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

So when my 85 K5 is 25 years old I should be able to run true duals without any problem?

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Depends on where you live.

Removing any of the emissions equipment on the vehicle (even *adding* a cat. converter, such as going with true duals on a later truck) is federally illegal, but to get busted by the federal government? Not real likely.

However, with roadside emission testing, visual inspections, etc., a state/county can just as easily ruin your day. Just depends on how aggressive your area is in regards to emissions/inspections.

13. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

Is that even after your vehicle is 25 years old?

14. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i got my 88 k5 inspected back in may. i got truck plates (GVWR 10,001+ haha) the inspector said i didnt need emissions inspection...i dunno but ill take it.

Im in VA

15. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I think so. I didn't know it was a Fed. violation, I always thought it was a State law here in CA, but I guess not. You can ask CamK5 about this, I think he was a Sheriff.

Here in CA they have roadside inspections. They can pull anyone over, any year and no reason at all. They have a book telling them what smog equip. came on what year vehicles. If you are missing that equip. you have like 30 days to replace it. Next time you get caught it's a fine and 30 days to fix. 3rd time .... you lose your ride. I don't think it happens very often, but someone on this site got hit with the inspection in a 73.

Eric M.

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes. There is no exemption based on year for Federal Emissions regulations. Not even for "off-road use only" which has also been specifically mentioned by agencies handling emissions tampering.The EPA is who regulates this federally, there used to be a paper that specifically mentioned not adding catalytic converters (or subtracting) from the original number on the vehicle on the EPA site as a for instance. It's been moved around a few times, not sure how easy it would still be to find.

Knew a guy with a '65 Oldsmobile that he wanted to go dual exhaust on, plus retrofit cats. (whatever floats your boat I guess) He was told exactly what the EPA paper said, adding converters was illegal. Thus, if your truck came with a catalytic converter, it can never be legally changed to duals. PERHAPS maybe if you do a diesel conversion, but that is a whole other arena. You can't change a vehicle to a "less restrictive" emissions class though, barring that diesel issue.

As I said though, the chances of getting in trouble Federally have got to be slim to none. I have never heard of the EPA testing individual vehicles, and even if they did, the sampling would be such a small percentage of total vehicles as to be very small concern to an individual.

Of course, states will (and have, I think Michigan was one good example) change their requirements if they find that emissions tampering is a real problem in an area. Here, diesels are tested for emissions because people started converting diesel cars and trucks to gas to "hide" from testing. The lawful diesel to gas conversion is fairly complex now as you can imagine.

State laws can be MORE restrictive than federal, but not less. Look at CA's medical marijuana problems to see that in practice.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2005
  17. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well smog pump/A.I.R dates to way back in the 60s sometime yes

pcv began for the 68 model year

71 was first for the gas tank fume collection system on some models but not all..

TCS(transmission controlled spark) was started i forgot what year but was around by 71 for sure and i bet it began in the 60s also, little switch on tranny it retarded timing in low forward and reverse ranges

73 was first for EGR

75 was first for cats

80 was first for EST electronic spark timing system(the E4ME carbs and 7 pin HEI and small ECM)

it went from there

this is a very complicated subject, the only thing that is certain is the years that emissions systems began to be used- they were requirements

and certain emissions equipment was used or not used- based on where the vehicle was to be sold new and also based on the drivetrain installed

every variety and combination of emissions equipment imaginaeable is out there,

its crazy, theres alot of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with heavy duty 350(M vin code) and they had no EGR valve but they had AIR and cat

theres some wierd ones out there

the higher the GVWR then usually the less emissions equipment they recieved

in most places anyways

thats one generic rule of thumb- of several

most all light duty vehicles in 80-up got EST/ESC and cats and AIR combo

such as all the full size RWD cars, and 5 and 10 series trucks
    -305 equipped ones especially,
    they got all kinds of emissions reductions equipment, loaded with the stuff, wires and hoses and TVS's([thermal vacuum switches]in the thermostat housing and intake manifold) and such all over the place on the engine

18. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ah so thats prolly why with my "truck" permenant plates since its required to have a GVWR of 10,001 + there is no emissions testing. ive had them for 6months, no trouble with the po-po.

sub-zero, ur in Va as well, look into those plates. ;)

main reason i got them was cuz with normal plates the bumper height is like 25" and with truck plates its 31". im currently at about 32" with 35s (actually measure 34")

19. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

Well I asked because there is SO much I would like to do to my truck in the way of performance that everyway I turn and every little thing I want to do seems to violate something.My truck was in bad shape when I got it.Most everything in the engine bay was either trashed or missing all together.I have since got it all together and roadworthy with the exception of missing emmisions stuff.I wasn't going to go out and replace this stuff with new(ungodly expensive)or used(who knows if it works or not).So I was considering purchasing a pre-emissions K5 to fix up instead.That way I could do whatever I wanted without fear of legal issues.And the beauty of these trucks is I could still use alot of the parts I have purchased for my 85 on the pre-emissions truck.Just wanted to know what year to look for.It seems to be a little more complicated than I originally thought.So lets say I wanted a K5 that did not come with a cat or a air pump.What year would I look for?

20. LongIslander26

Pre cat K5

Anything 1978 or earlier.