Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Latch vs. Cam-Lock 5pt harness

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtnman210, Jan 4, 2007.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for some 5pt harnesses. The latches are much cheaper than the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cam-Lock stlye. is there any major difference.

[/FONT]Also they show the individual style shoulder straps are for floor mounting while the v-type are for roll bar mounting. Is there any reason I couln't mount individuals on my cage

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] I'm looking at either mastercrafts or simpsons for a latch style.
    any recomendations on brands to go with.
    [/FONT]

2. FWP

FWP CRS

The cam locks are faster for positive release during a fire or other emergency evac.

You can mount individual shoulders straps to the cage.

Go with the harness you can afford that has the widest amount of leather behind the buckle- it will help when bouncing around. I like the Simpsons more than RCI. Dunno about Mastercraft.

My .00002

3. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

thanks. yeah I was looking at the simpsons a little more today and them seem to be overall a little better and they're about the same price as the mastercrafts.

4. bnate

bnate 1/2 ton status

Also...in a roll over, latches are difficult to unlatch (don't ask how I know).

Camlocks will release better when weight/force is applied to them.

5. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    great question...i had wondered this myself

6. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I also got a recomendation for DJ Safety. They're local here in L.A. I might try them

7. bnate

bnate 1/2 ton status

8. blaza

blaza 1/2 ton status

Another thing to consider is corrosion/sand/dirt in the cam. After a while some guys have had them get hard to open. That and they are more expensive.

9. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

I have dirt raced for yearssssssssss. In Alabama clay and this crud sticks to every thing and stains. I have used Both types. I DO NOT like the cam type. I got hit hard in a corner but keep going. Well my left arm must of hit the button because at the end of the race a guy stopped real fast in front of me and i popped him in the rear and almost came out the windshield. The latch if done correctly will have a little strap on the part you pull incase of wreck or fire. I have seen guys up side down and all they did was grab that strap and pop down they came. Plus side latch is dumb simple. You can wash it off and it will work. That cam if it gets mud in it good luck. This is the most important part make DAMN sure you read the directions on the mounting of the straps if you dont you risk hurting yourself in a wreck. my 2cents fer today......

10. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info. Thinking this is going to be used strictly offroad and alot in the mud I'm now liking the sound of the latch alot more.

11. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I have no experience with the cam lock style but plenty with the latch type. I chose the latch type because of the simplicity of the mehanism and figured less to break or get tweaked.

I have the RCI's and like them and I do have the individual shoulder straps connected to the cage. both front and rear seating. I have PRP seats so the front shoulder straps go thru the seat and the rear shoulder straps go over the back of the back seat.

DEFINATELY FOLLOW THE RECCOMENDATIONS IN THE DIRECTIONS IF YOU ARE SETTING THEM UP YOURSELF. Could mean the difference between being injured in a crash or roll and not.

12. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

13. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The Cam-lock type is actually prohibited from use in racing by SCORE. Since most other sanctioning bodies follow the SCORE rules that means they aren't anywhere in the desert.

I would avoid the Y-type shoulder straps. Usually you can't get the crotch far enough away from your neck and the legs end up sawing into you.

About the only thing that sucks with using the individual straps on the cage is if the rules require the doubled up D rings. Start running out of room for stuff then.

14. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I'm not worried about any rules on this. So all that stuff really doesn't matter. I'm gonna go with the latch style. I'm comparing prices today and see what I come up with

15. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Didn't figure you were, but I pointed that out to show what those in the business of really needing a robust & dirt-proof seatbelt buckle think of the Cam-Locks.