Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Latches to hold down boxes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KrebsATM02, Nov 15, 2001.

1. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I'm going to be building custom tool boxes in the back of my blazer to hold spare parts, etc... They will be made out of diamond plate. I'm trying to figure out a cheap and non obtrusive way so that i can take the tool boxes out if i need the room. Any one have any ideas?? Thanks in advance - Doug

Doug Krebs

2. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Make some hooks on the back and get some racheting tie downs form Home Depot or Lowes. I either strap all my stuff to the rear roll bar or the rear seat latches. Anything from dirtbikes(top off) to tool boxes. Both points are really strong.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I went to Home Depot.... bought some latches to use like for a gate, shed, cabinet or door where you padlock them.... anyhow I am gonna use them for my stereo box. This will secure it down and lock it... so if I want to remove it I can but while it's in the truck it's safe. I also used a vice to bend the latches into L shapes. Then I will mount them to the box and the floor (sucks you gotta drill 4 holes in the floor but it you POR 15 it no rust worries). Like $4 each for the latch and a nice lock is like $6 (I get the type where the side comes up where they are harder for bolt cutters to get too)

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!

4. KrebsATM02

I'm looking for something that is really heavy duty. Loaded with parts and tools this thing could weigh 300-400 pounds easy. I'm almost looking at welding in some of the latches that the suburban seat uses. - Doug

Doug Krebs

5. ChevyCaGal

Just get the big latches then... they have huge ones for like locking barn doors and industrial freezers and storage.... so on....

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yeah, I was thinking seat latches when I saw your first post, then I read on down and realized you beat me to it. [​IMG] Maybe the door latches (like the guy used on his tire carrier pics posted a day or so ago) are worth a look too. Maybe a couple of tubes welded horizontal on the floor and a matching pair of rods on the forward part of the box. Then, you could put the box in the gate, slide the box forward so that the rods slide into the tubes, and have a latch (or two?) on the rear edge (recessed or on the sides so that it does not interfere with sliding the box in) that engages when the rod/tube mount is mated.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

7. KrebsATM02

anyone else done this, or have ideas? Thanks - Doug

Doug Krebs

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i took my old toy box i have had since i was 2 complete with zoo animal vinal print (mom was taking it to the junkyard[​IMG]) and went the ratched strap route. i also saved my first teddy bear from going w/ my toybox @ the landfill....i like the idea of my toybox being inside my toy![​IMG]

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

9. ChevyCaGal

The ratchet idea also works well but I'd honestly look into a way to pad lock the stuff inside. Sure a bolt cutter can be used to cut them but it's enough to slow up a thief for a few minutes and some might walk on by if they are too lazy to cut it out....

Suck Fumes Ford Boy