Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

late 30spl 10 bolt vs 12 bolt (I searched)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by moturbopar, Nov 16, 2005.

1. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

Hi all I searched but couldnt find any info on this. I just purchased a 91 suburban with a factory 10 bolt. I am wondering how the compare in streangth to the 12 bolt. I am also wonderin if you think that is can hold upto 33" tires for some trail riding?
    Thanks

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

As much as I like the 12 bolt in my Blazer , I don't reccomend it for your Sub .
    Ya see , TJ's Sub had a rear 10 bolt . And one day we were climbing some cool little hill , well actually I climbed it and waited for him to come up which took forever being open . Anyways , all the weight of the Sub cracked his housing by the center section . Months later he figured it out , and had it welded to get home from Cali , bearings shot etc .

He runs a 14 bff now .

Subs are just too heavy to do even light wheeling with a 10b/12b .

3. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

ya thats what I was worried about. So do you think on of the small 6 lug 14bolt rear ends would hold up ok?

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

The 6 lug 14B will work, but the thing I don't like about it is that it's a semi floating axle design. After the c-clip failed on my 12B and having the wheel and axle shaft seperate from my truck I swore I'd never put that design back under my truck, so I went with a 14B full floating axle. Sure I had to get new 8 lug wheels and change the hub/rotor up front, but now I have peace of mind.

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

the 10/12 bolt debate has been hashed around for a long time. I personally believe the 10 bolt is a great axel. I have 35's with 4.10's in the wifes truck with 10 bolts. But i don't have any burbs. I can see that the extra weight can be an issue. If i were gonna do ANY wheeling, I'de go right to a 14 bolt Ful Floater. Their cheap, plentyfull, and VERY strong in stock form.
    Do it right Do it once!! The only drawback is that they are 8 lug. So new rims and swap the front to 8 lug. When I do a swap like that. I usually look for a complete parts truck. I can usually find 3/4 trucks, not running or rusty for 3-400 and then I have all the parts for the swap.

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Yup... it's like dat.

7. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status