Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Late 700R4 into Early Vehicle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kendo, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Kendo

Kendo Registered Member

For those of you that have put the 87 and up 700's in your pre 87 vehicles, did you have to change any of the electrical to get the tranny to function correctly. Mine doesn't seem to like OD now with an 87 tranny in it (1985 Jimmy). I thought it might be the forward accumulator, but before I go pulling the pan, if I can do some wiring mods to get it to work, I'd rather do that. This is a fresh rebuild, so I'm sure it's something simple and stupid (fingers crossed). /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Tranny works fine in all other gears, but when shifted to OD from a start, it acts as if it's in neutral. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Same question for me, I'm curious as he is. My tranny is an 87, I'm bout to do the dreaded motor swap. I'm going with a real carb this time no TBI stuff to mess up. Does the TBI computer control the tranny and how do you modify it to work with a carb?

3. Kendo

Kendo Registered Member

So no one has done this? I find that very hard to believe.

4. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

Kendo, I know one guy who put a non-computerized 700r4 into his '77 Bourbon with excellent results - improved gas mileage. He had to switch the steering column. It sounds like maybe you are hitting nuetral instead of od - could be in the linkage. What tc did you use?

5. Kendo

Kendo Registered Member

Stock rebuilt unit I believe. Nothing special about it. Trouble is, I don't know what the difference is in the electronics between 85 and 87. I'm going to recheck the linkage this weekend, but I don't think that's it. Sure would be nice if it was though. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

I don't think they went to the electronically controlled models until 90 or 91. I have an 89 and it is not the computer controlled version. I think you'll be ok with that 87.

7. Z85WT1500

Z85WT1500 Registered Member

OK, this might be obvious but do you have that 4 pin connector hooked up? My old roommate had a 700R4 sitting in the garage, and it had this 4 pin plug on it, and the summit catalog sold the harness to hook up to it, as that is what controls the lockup converter (I think). Like I said, that is how I understand it, if I am wrong, please tell me...

Jason

8. glencanyonexplor

glencanyonexplor Registered Member

check the adjustment on the throttle cable that goes to it.a little bit makes a big change.the only thing that is elect is the lock-up that I know of .I put one in my 77 without the lock-up convertor and it has no wireing to it at all ,it works great !

9. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I've had a few 87and up 700's in my 84' No problems. It sounds like you need to adjust your TV cable. Not very hard at all. If you just put the tranny and slapped on the tv cable without adjusting it then the chance of your tranny acting up in certain gears if not all is very high (assuming you had another tranny size or year before installing new one). That TV cable makes a world of difference. If you dont know how to adjust it or tune it correctly just ask. Hope this helps.

10. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

11. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i dont think they make a kit for a quadrahog....or maybe that was T.V. made EZ or are they the same?

12. Kendo

Kendo Registered Member

OK, all great responses!! Yes, the TV cable is adjusted, matter of fact, it's brand new, when I pulled the tranny, the old cable snapped at the carb connection (friggin plastic POS).

The four pin connector is also connected.

Everything works great except that damn overdrive. I am really beginning to think it's the forward accumulator. I say that because when you place it in the OD position and rev the motor, sometimes it will "kick" into gear. That sounds awfully suspicious to me and possibly like something may be leaking. By applying throttle you're uping the pressure of the tranny fluid (aren't you?) and it's overcoming that leak enough to "kick" it into gear.

Does that make sense?

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

What is wrong with the overdrive, so far you just state it is not working right.

ALso what do you have the 4 pin connector hooked up to? You need somethign to control the TC lockup. If you run OD without the convertor locked up it generates too much heat and you could burn up 4th gear! I believe any year 700 is like this(my 84 and 89 is)... In my truck, I have the B&M controller, not bad, but you have to switch it manually most of the time. There are a few companies out there that make kits for this, but I have never heard about any experiences with them.

14. Kendo

Kendo Registered Member

Well, from Park, if you shift into the OD position, the truck sits there as if it's in neutral. I don't know if it will ever shift into OD while moving, I didn't want to drive it and **** something up. Apparently I can drive it without damaging it, so maybe I need to further diagnose the problem. I just really want to avoid dumping 5 quarts of brand new fluid out of the pan to check the accumulator if there is an easier solution. I don't mind doing the fluid dump, if I know that a leaking accumulator is 90% likely to be the problem.

15. Emmettology 101

Have you checked to see if the shift indicator is lined up correctly and not off?

16. StonerK5

StonerK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, try that, my Tranny and Gear Indicator have not been on the same page for years. I count for the gears...Park 1, N 2 OD 3 etc... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

17. Emmettology 101

700's are: Park, Reverse, Neutral, OD, 3, 2, 1

18. Kendo

Kendo Registered Member

I'm fairly certain it is, I am going to check the linkage at the tranny itself to make sure it's engaging, but I don't hold much hope that's it. I actually have 2 neutral positions the way it's acting now, "real" neutral and "pseudo" neutral (where OD should be).

I am learning way more about auto trannies than I ever wnated to. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

19. Emmettology 101

Hmmm, that is weird! Something is not right there. Sorry I cant be of more help, but let us know when you find out what is wrong!

BTW, What do you have your 4 prong connector hooked to if you dont have a computer anymore?

20. Kendo

Kendo Registered Member

Huh? I still have the computer in the truck, this was a remove and replace operation, so everything is how it should be.

This weekend I am going to crawl under there, check the linkage, and probably pull the damn pan. Damn that sucks! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif