Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

late 80's GM Quad 4 experts look in here

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Feb 19, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

late 80\'s GM Quad 4 experts look in here

does anyone know if in 88 there would have been a TBI version of the 2.3L Quad 4 engine in the grand ams ? supposedly has Quad 4 on the air cleaner aseembly in which is normal round one

i always thought the quad four were all TPI and with MAF and no traditional air cleaner assembly on top and instead had an air box with MAF, no matter the year, and were all silver gray aluminum colored instead of black like the commonly seen 2.5L 4-Tech engines in these cars.

asking cuz is going to be a repair job, head gasket replacement and when i looked under the hood once it was all black and had air cleaner assembly just like a 2.5L always has in those years TBI but the woner of the car swears it says quad four and is a 2.3L,

i didnt look close at all other than noticing that the engine is black painted and has air claner assembly just like 2.5L

was there a blzck painted TBI 2.3L quad 4 engine in 88 ?

thanks for anything

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Re: late 80\'s GM Quad 4 experts look in here

Randy, I have seen Quad Fours with the traditional air cleaner and TBI.....Seen em on Oldsmobiles and Pontiacts....

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

interesting.... hmmmmmm.......

i called up auto zone and asker for a MAF for an 88 grand am with 2.3 and they said they have one,

so this all doesnt make sense,,

if the 88 grand am in question has a traditional round top mounted air cleaner then how can it have an MAF ?

hmmmm....

too bad the car is way out in country sitting right now or id just look

thanks for anythign further

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Well, I'm no "expert" but the Quad 4 was a dual-overhead cam engine, so the valve cover should be MUCH wider than you see on a pushrod engine. And every Quad 4 that I've ever seen had a cast aluminum valve cover with the Quad 4 logo cast into it.

Aha, I found a web page that sheds some light on the Quad 4. Here's something from their FAQ:
    [ QUOTE ]
    What's this stuff on VIN-whatever Quads?
    This is refering to the 8th VIN number of the VIN number code. Believe it or not, there's more than one kind of Quad. The core of the beast is still the same, but a few key parts are different. Intake, exhaust, and computer/fuel management components vary. This results in the SOHC(BAD), DOHC(GOOD), H.O./W40/W41/W42 DOHC (PRETTY DANG AWESOME) versions of the Quad 4. A VIN-D Quad is the most common run o' the mill DOHC (which is pretty decent-it's the one I have.) VIN-A's are the H.O. Quads. There are some more codes for the performance and SOHC as well as the newer DUAL or TWIN-CAM engines. I don't know all of those codes yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out http://www.angelfire.com/il2/insig2/quad4r.html for more info. He has a lot of Quad 4 trivia there. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

crack... so was single cam and also dual cam too, plus different fuel systems, damn, so i assume one was tbi and other was later common tpi.

fudge..

boy GM sure got squirrely in the late 80s, dang

only quad 4 ive ever seen in anything so far is the 90s common aluminum top nice ones,. i helped replace one in a 94 grand am and its still around with about 50k miles on the new engine now running great. the original died at less than 100k for some odd reason,.

they are really tall narrow engines when are bare stripped of manifolds and everything, but the head cover is wide and finned design yep

but not in this 88 grand am though, i swear it looks just like a 2.5 4-tech, color and cleaner and valve cover and all but he swears it says quad four on it and i assumed with just a glance that its a 2.5 because of it being black and air cleanered tbi setup

damn

no idea now what its got for sure til i can see it again,

crazy stuff

hmmmm..

thanks

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

i called up auto zone and asker for a MAF for an 88 grand am with 2.3 and they said they have one,

if the 88 grand am in question has a traditional round top mounted air cleaner then how can it have an MAF ?

hmmmm....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but Autozone sells muffler bearings and radiators for Corvairs too... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

We have an 89 Grand Am with 2.5L TBI set up traditional air cleaner. What's the MFG date on your 88?
    Bill

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

hmmmm....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but Autozone sells muffler bearings and radiators for Corvairs too... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

haha true, good point there, hehe, dont forget the headlight fluid and diesle spark plugs /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    We have an 89 Grand Am with 2.5L TBI set up traditional air cleaner. What's the MFG date on your 88?
    Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

ive sene billions of 2.5L in 80s grand ams, extremeyl common of course, but just have never heard of or seen a 2.3L before 90 or so, but i have found quite a few sources online that list the 2.3L starting in '88 for these N-body cars, and a 2.4L quad four too, wierd...

hmmm..

thanks