Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Late model Chevy/GMC rear disk brakes on 14bff?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Oct 29, 2002.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Late model Chevy and GMC trucks have had rear disk brakes for a couple of years now. Could you use the disk brake calipers off of the heavy duty maybe even the light duty trucks on our K5's? I know there has to be an e-brake on them some kinda way. Has anybody attempted to do this yet on 14bff?

What do you guys think?

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I had that same thought the other day, good post... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Anyone car to chime in here and tell us how stupid we are.....? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

you supply the parts (with the exception of the 14b), and i'll build it.

5. harry

harry 1/2 ton status

I have a 2002 3/4 ton 4x4 Sub and was wondering the same thing. The ebrake cable runs down the driver side to the peddle. I think it would be fairly easy to put this in my 69 k5 and make it work but how much do these parts cost /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. They are so new they are probably are only dealer items /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. ("Hi, AAA (auto insurance), somebody just stole my two front bucket seats, my third seat, and my entire rear end. I can't believe it happened in my driveway and I didn't hear them). J/K/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    ("Hi, AAA (auto insurance), somebody just stole my two front bucket seats, my third seat, and my entire rear end. I can't believe it happened in my driveway and I didn't hear them).

[/ QUOTE ] Are the seats leather if so where do you live..? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I was thinking you could do everything to put disks on a 14bff but use the calipers from a late model Chevy/GMC (if they fit) as an alternative to Caddy calipers.

But I don't know if they would bolt up to the existing brackets being sold on here and if the calipers would fit over the 3/4 ton front hubs used on a 14bff

Harry maybe you could take some measurements of the rotor thickness and diameter and could compare with someone that has the 3/4 ton rotors used on a 14bff disk conversion

Maybe a starting point?

8. harry

harry 1/2 ton status

sure thing 88Jimmy. I have the TSM 14b disc set up on my 69 in the garage. I will take measurements (sp) and reply tomorrow afternoon.

9. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I did some searching and this is what I came up with. I looked at Grim-Reaper's pics of the late model 6-lug Chevy rear disks and IF the 8-lug set-ups are the same then the only things I can think of to make them work would be:

-having enough clearance after its all done to run a 15" wheel

-if the brake caliper would even be big enough to "grab" the rotor once you got the 4WD front rotor and 14bff hub assembly together
    (perhaps the need for a spacer to space the hub/rotor assembly away from the axle)

-having your e-brake and hydraulic brake line fittings match

What do you guys think?

10. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I'm interested in this. Can you take a pic of your rear calipers? Maybe one that shows how the parking brake works?

11. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

If they are the same as the rear disc setups on the 2002 Silverado's then here's how they work. They are a rotor with a drum in the middle. The drum is pretty small in size and it's for the e-brake. Then the rest is all the same. So to try and explain it better the middle of the rotor has a small drum maybe 6-7" across with a cable going to it that is the e-brake and the caliper works the same as any other rear disc setup. Later

12. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Only the 1st 6 month or so of the 2001 run use the 14 ff. from then on it a 11 1/4 ring gear made by AAC.

13. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

*EDIT*

In my previous post I said that the brake rotor that could be used would be the front rotor off of a 4WD straight front axle. However, in order to utilize the e-brake function of the late model Chevy disks, you would have to use the rotor off of the late model Chevy disks. Now the question would be if the 14bff hub would sit inside the late model Chevy rear disk rotor, letting the e-brake actuate.

Blazer79 I can't take pics because I don't have a late model Chevy with rear disks. All I am going off of is Grim-Reaper's pis of late model Chevy 6-lug rear disk setup. The rest is all in my head, but I don't know if it will work or not. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

What do you guys think?

14. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'm into this too.....Just got the 14FF last night and got to looking at it for the disk brake switch over. I have 6 lug rims and a Dana 44 on the front going to machine up a new hub for the 14FF to hold the 6 lug rims I have. I would then be able to put on the Dana44 disk brake rotor and just fab up a bracket to hold the caliper on. That way the rotor would fit my rim and I would not have to worry about clearance issues on the caliper. Would have to find a caliper with an e-brake set up to hold the truck in park. Need to check a front disk for the fitting on the rear shaft but from looking at it, I think I would only have to bore out the center hole to slide over the axle housing.
    Any one done this, have any suggestion.
    Will keep document on this if it works

15. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

someone on this site did what you want for six lug 14 bolt.they just took a rim and centered it on the hub and marked where the holes lined up.then drilled it out and they put a dana 44 rotor on it with longer than stock studs.then they built a disk brake bracket and used front brake calipers for a 44.i wish i had entered the link into my favorites so i could give it to ya.

16. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I’m thinking about setting the hub up on a CNC machine, I would cut the inside of the hub leaving the 8 lug bolt pattern but getting a clean surface to make a matching ring/spacer with the 6 lug pattern, the spacer would be machined to fit around the new machined surface of the hub with a .005 clearance, this will give me the proper thickness to mount the new rotor on plus I will have even more contact between the rotor and hub. Then I would drill and ream the 6-lug hole pattern into the hub, I would then install the rotor and spacer with the wheel lugs. I can machine up the mounting bracket for the caliper and bore out the center hole in the rotor…My thinking is that by doing it this way I can use the front Dana44 rotors and calipers…. But no e-brakes

17. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Look what I found......any body kinow what its from?????

[​IMG]

18. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

anybody have info on the caliper??? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

19. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

Just guessing .. but looks kinda like a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe (87 - 88 ish) rear caliper. Maybe an 84-86 SVO Mustang rear caliper.

20. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Could even be F150/Expedition/Navigator.