Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Late Model Corp. 14-Bolt Disc Brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trukman1, Jan 4, 2003.

1. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Can anyone give me any information as to when GM started putting disc brakes on the Corp. 14-bolt axles and can they be retro fitted to a '85 Corp. 14-bolt? Want to get rid of my drums and don't want to go the Cadillac disc brake route. Thanks for your help.
    Trukman1

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

You can always use the 3/4 ton calipers. I called TSM and their kit uses the Monte Carlo calipers or the caddys'.

3. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

fr8train, Thanks but I'm trying to find the years GM put discs on the newer FF 14 bolt. I want to try to go with the disc setup with the internal emergency brake setup on the newer trucks. I researched the route your talking about but had too many people tell me they didn't really like the small e-brake for full size vehicles at steep angles. From what I can tell they use the "caddy" type systems to stay street legal. I need a brake that will work if pulling a trailer or hauling a lot of weight. Thanks again.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You can't use late model disc's on an earlier model rear, like your '85. The bearing hubs are different. Also, the late models have drums/discs sliding over the lug studs rather than having the press-in with studs where the drum/rotor sit on the back of the bearing hub.

The bearing hubs between the late and early models are similar in design, but different on the wheel mounting surface. One sticks out further than the other.

If you wanted to run the later model brakes, you should find the bearing hubs WITH the rotors and use them rather than the earlier hubs.

But if you plan to use the earlier hubs, do what the others say and stick with the older rotors and aftermarket disc brackets like a few members here make. Less headaches in the long run. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

A friend of mine has a 2001 Chevy Suburban and his 14BFF has factory disks. I have been bugging him to let me get a good look at it to see if it can be fitted onto an earlier 14BFF. I know this doesn't help much, but maybe I will come up with some more info later.

6. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Ahhh ok. I wonder if a line lock for all 4 of your brakes would serve you better. I am thinking since the new rear 14FF came out late '01 thats when it happened. I cant remember if American 14FF came earlier than that. I have no clue if the axle tube size changed, the ring gear is now 11.xx" dia. though.

7. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

K30, Thanks for the information. I had intended to replace everything from the axle flange out. Will have to do some more research if widths are different...may mean swapping axle shafts too. Do you see a problem in replacing the entire assembly? Other than finding the pieces in a salvage yard? Thanks, Gary

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think I remember reading somewhere that the newer trucks don't have 14bff, they are different and have 11 1/2" ring gears. GM has not given this new axle any kind of name like the 14bff, they are just calling it an 11 1/2"

9. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

I was interested in this too nd went to find prices from the dealer and local parts stores. it would cost near to or more than $1000 to get it done with all new parts. The bolt holes that hold the bracket to the axle tube look to be bigger as well. different style parking brake cable too(the ends that is)

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I'm not absolutely sure of this, but it looked like the bolt pattern is different btwn the disc and the drum housing flanges. The flange for the drum brake looks to be a square or near square bolt pattern and the later 14ff disc was definitely not square, more trapeziodal.

A local shop replaced the HUGE rear (dwarfs a 14ff) that comes in the DuraMax HD's with a 14FF to be able to put a Detroit in the rear (no aftermarket diff's yet for what ever that axle is called).

11. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

They started in 99 cause I missed having them by one year. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

12. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

i must be going to the wrong yards, cause i never see anything that new, especially axles. so i stick to good old iron