Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Late model keyless entry in our rigs?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 88K5Jimmy, Jan 1, 2004.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Is there a way to install a late model keyless entry system into our K5's? I would like the setup that is similar to my parents Yukon. You press the unlock button once to unlock the drivers door and twice to unlock the rest of the doors. Then if you wanted to be tricky you could wire the rear hatch button to roll down the rear window or something?

Thanks

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

A Black Widow alarm rolls of the top of my head. Has all that and then some. There are quite a few brands out there that will do and surpass what you described. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Yeah basically you'll have to install an alarm system of some sort. But it'll do the same thing from the key fob and probably be more reliable than the GM version.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

CODE ALARMS !!!!!!!

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    CODE ALARMS !!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]????????

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It's a name brand. CODE ALARMS is one of the best IMHO. Can't beat thier top of the line system. They garentee if it get's stolden, they'll replace your vehicle. It uses satalite tracking, and does everything "Onstar" does. They can even shut the vehicle down if you call in after a car jacking. Shut it down and lock the car jacker in till the cops get there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Lots of options with CODE ALARMS.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Oh got ya. Never heard of it.

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you have power door locks than any good alarm will have the keyless feature. I have a top of the line Ungo alarm with remote start, silent arm/disarm, but I don't have power door locks but I will soon.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

But older rigs aren't setup for the one feature that he seems to want the most. Unlocking the doors is easy, but he specifically wants the "press once to unlock ONLY the drivers door" and "press twice to open ALL the doors" feature that late model vehicles have. Unlocking only the drivers door prevents someone from jumping in on the drivers side when your wife unlocks the vehicle in the parking lot at the mall. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

It could be done on an older rig but it would require some rewiring of the door lock circuits.

10. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

11. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

I had one installed on my old blazer but I did not have power locks. However, it did have the feature you described allowing you to unlock only one door. It worked well but the keyless start is a little difficult if your truck is carbureted. That is unless it fires up without the choke.

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There are systems out there that will let you use the unlock one door feature, if the vehicle came with that option from the factory. All the lock circuits on our rigs are wired to a common set of relays though, so all the doors either lock or unlock together. Changing that would require rewiring the lock circuitry into the drivers door. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif