Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Late model light sensor install

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shadetree, Aug 7, 2000.

1. shadetree

shadetree Registered Member

I left my freakin' lights on for the three millionth time this weekend and drained my battery. But never again... I am going to try to wire in a late model GM headlight sensor that turns the headlights on and off automatically and turns off the courtesy lights after a few minutes. Has anyone ever done this? I guess if I was more careful this wouldn't happen, but I think automatic lights are one of the best inventions on late model cars. If anyone has done this or knows anything about wiring something like this, please let me know.

Thanks

2. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

How about wiring yhe headlights power to acc. instead of constant power. That way when the key is out the lights are off.

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. AtlassII . Spray in liner.

3. jim82

jim82 Registered Member

dude, mike dropped this site in another post, they have a ton of cool electrical stuff, and i think they have after market auto headlights too.
    my .02

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I have a circuit that will start a buzzer if you turn off the key with the lights on, pretty easy to build, get all the parts at radio shack for a few bucks and it wires to the fuse panel. Drop an email if you want a copy.

Eagle86K5@aol.com

5. shadetree

shadetree Registered Member

Thanks for the input. I have been driving a 98 Z camaro (mainly my wife's) lately while I have my 86 K5 torn apart and I realized how handy it is to have your interior lights go off automatically as well as the headlights. So I thought why not try that in the old K5? I am not an electrical engineer, but I figure it can't be too hard to wire-in a late model sensor circuit.

Although I don't want something that will create more work and ongoing electrical headaches, I am getting lazy and the thought of never worrying about draining my battery again sounds good.

Your tips are appreciated. But I haven't given up on the late model sensor loop idea yet, at least not until I find out how much it would cost to get a complete sensor/circuit. Then I may look at a buzzer circuit or other remedie.

6. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Ok bud...here you go...fool proof schematic that will not let you leave the lights on again...parts are about 3.00 at radio shack.