Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Late model rear ends narrower?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Jan 18, 2004.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Im still trying to find a SF and was told that newer trucks with SF rear ends are about 3in narrower ... is this true? If it is is it a total of 3in or 3in on each side? Also when did the different widths happen (year wise)?
    Also If I put a newer rear end in my truck will I have to re-weld the spring perches('84 ½ton) /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nope, the later model 4wd rims have much more offset than the older rims and to compensate just made the rearend wider. I have seen when guys do a solid front axle swap on newer trucks and the track width is almost perfect because the late model rearends are wider than the earlier ones. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

how much wider? I was thinking about using my 8-6lug adapters on a new rearend but then it would look REALLY goofy and probably even rub the top of the fender when I flex

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

new model rear ends are 3" wider than older ones, to compensate for the IFS and wheel differences..

toyota did the same thing in 86 when they went to IFS..

5. ijakers

ijakers Registered Member

so would the newer model rear ends be the same width as the front axle on an 86 k5?

6. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

I know for a fact the 88 and newer 2wd 14BSF is narrower than our trucks. I tried swapping the axleshafts from an '89 2wd sf(6lug) into an '84 2wd 14bSF (8lug)right in the local upullit place, the '89 axles lacked about 1 inch from getting the c-clips in. Thought I had a clever way to get a bolt in 14BSF 6 lug into my K5...just outsmarted myself so I ended up putting the 8 lug axles back in and converted to 8 lug on my K5. The '88 and newer 4wd 14BSF is wider than our trucks and will require spring perch moving/welding.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I know for a fact the 88 and newer 2wd 14BSF is narrower than our trucks. I tried swapping the axleshafts from an '89 2wd sf(6lug) into an '84 2wd 14bSF (8lug)right in the local upullit place, the '89 axles lacked about 1 inch from getting the c-clips in. Thought I had a clever way to get a bolt in 14BSF 6 lug into my K5...just outsmarted myself so I ended up putting the 8 lug axles back in and converted to 8 lug on my K5. The '88 and newer 4wd 14BSF is wider than our trucks and will require spring perch moving/welding.

[/ QUOTE ]

could be an issue of brake shoes width though

did you measure shafts themselves to compare ?
    or measure housing widths?

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

From what I recall, if anything, the newer axles are wider, but no more so than the 3" it takes to "equal" our front axle width. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

I did not measure, I was doing all the swapping right in the junk yard. after I tried the newr model axles, I stood new and old on end and saw the difference between them and gave up.