Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Late-model (TBI) BBC guys...Got a few questions...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Oct 8, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Well, I got my 1992 454 BBC on the engine stand and have started pulling the accessories off...Now I need to fiqure out the locations of the various sensors...So what are the following senders?

-Drivers'-side of block all the way to the front? Oil press.?
    -Drivers'-side in head between cylinders 3&5? Temp.?
    -Front of intake next to the water neck? POSSIBLY ANOTHER TEMP.?
    -Passenger-side in head between 4&6? Another temp.?
    -Passenger-side block under #4 exhaust port, sensor is similar shape and size of adjacent freeze plug? Knock sensor?
    -Passenger-side in block directly below #6 spark plug?

So what are these sensors?It looks to me that there are 3 temp sender (1 in each head and 1 by the water neck).

Thanks for the help gang...
    I need to know these for my 350 to 454 swap...

Later
    Chris

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

- Drivers' side in head between cylinders 3&5.....coolant temp sensor for guage only.
    - Front of intake next to water neck...coolant temp sensor for computer use
    - Passenger side block under # 4 exhaust port...yup, knock sensor
    - Others, ? I could make an educated guess, but I'd rather leave it to someone who knows for sure.
    Hope this helps.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Wheres the wiring harness? Much easier to tell this stuff if you can look at the correct wiring plug and match that up with the correct sensor. The same year wiring manual is also invaluable as well.

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I've got the harness for the BBC...But I need to findout if the extra sensors that the BBC has are needed...I would like to keep the SBC harness that is currently in my Blazer and just swap the engine and computer. So basically, will my 1987 350 TBI wiring harness work with the 1992 454 TBI motor? I realize that I will need to "update" some connectors such as the TPS as they (the connectors) are differnt from one engine to another but wires are the same...

Chris

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

there are more qualified than me to answer BBC questions, but everything should be fairly *similar*, and some things such as temp sensors, tps, etc. probably exactly the same.

Things such as knock sensor, ESC, and some others related to displacement and just a different engine, will need swapped.