Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Late Model TBI in older Suburban, Tranny ?'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by capps, Jul 30, 2005.

1. capps

capps Registered Member

Has anyone installed a late model Vortec into an older model 73 - 91 Suburban, or 74 - 87 Truck? Did you use the 700R4 or an electronic transmission?

I have a 97 Vortec with a 700R4 that I have installed into my 84 3/4 ton Suburban. Wondering if there is a special bracket to hook up the kick down cable for the 700R4. It looks like the Vortec is pulling the opposite of the old carb setup.

2. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

That is not a kick down cable. It is called a Throttle valve (TV) cable. It controls fluid pressure in the trans. It is very important that it be hooked up and adjusted correctly. Or you will fry your trans. Dont drive the truck till its hooked up right.
    Vortec used an electronically controlled trans (4L60E) So you will need some kind of adapter if you have an older non electric shift control 700R4 AKA 4L60.
    You will also need a Torque convertor lock up switch. because ECM in a Vortec system will not work with a 700R4. So you will need a way to lock up the TC.

These guys make adapters for lots of TV systems get a hold of them maby they have something that will work for your Vortec swap.:http://www.tvmadeez.com/
    They also make TC lock up switches too.

Also Read this:EXPLANATION OF STOCK TV CABLE SYSTEM So you will understand what the TV cable does.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd also expect a flash of the PROM would be necessary to alleviate any error codes associated with the trans "missing".

Actually an interesting question, how do you properly compensate that setup when using an auto trans with no computer feedback? Setting the PROM to think it was a manual trans still isn't right.

Perhaps OBD2 is adaptable enough so you wouldn't notice as much, but I know on OBD1, manual trans and auto trans have quite a bit of difference in how they are programmed.