Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Late Model vs. Older Model 14 Bolt Differences...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willyswanter, Nov 4, 2003.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What exactly is different about the older and newer 14 bolts? All I need to know about is the diff, not the axle tubes or wheel hubs or anything. Basically what I need to know is:

1) Are the gears the same?
    2) Are the carrier and pinion bearings the same?
    3) Are the yokes the same?

I'm getting an older 14 bolt to replace my later model one and I need to make sure my gears will drop right in, as far as I know it's just the pinion seal which is different but I could be wrong on that...

2. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yes, I belive so.

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I believe that the pinion support is different along with the pinion length. You can use an older R/P with an older pinion support in a new housing and visa/versa.
    Just make sure your pinion support matches the R/P ( older v/s new design ) .Tom

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

(1) pinion bearing is larger. The gears and carrier bearings are all the same. I believe the cutoff is 87 and older or 88 and newer. If you have both pinion support housings then it doesn't matter what year bearing kit you buy you just need to use the correct pinion support housing.

5. willyswanter

So I can take my gears from my 96 14 bolt and plop them into a 78 14 bolt and all I need is to buy the master rebuild kit for the 78 correct?

6. willyswanter

So can I take my complete pinion support with pinion in it from my 96 and bolt it onto the 78 housing and it all will work together? Only part bad is the carrier bearing bores on the 96 housing so I'd rather not setup the pinion again with a new crush sleave and such...

7. 4X4HIGH

That would be correct so long as you use the 78 pinion support, the bearing is smaller on the earlier one though. You should use the 96 pinion support in the 78 housing and buy the master install kit for the 96 but you will need to recheck your gear set-up which I assume you are going to do anyway.

8. 4X4HIGH

Yes, you could do that, you would not have to fool with crush sleeve but you may have to change shims to get correct backlash.

9. willyswanter

Yeah pinion depth and all that is easy. I blew apart a vice and a work bench and my concrete floor trying to crush the crush sleeve the first time, don't want to have to do it again /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Is the pinion support bearing that is in the actual diff housing the same size between the old and late styles?

10. 4X4HIGH

I stand corrected, the pinion pilot bearing changed as well, not sure if one will interchange with the other or not.

11. willyswanter

Coolio, just need to buy a pair of new carrier bearings and the pilot bearing and I should be set, thank you sir /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

EDIT: Hmm, ok, so I basically just need to make sure the pinions have the same OD stub sticking off the end to make sure it will work with either bearing...

12. 4X4HIGH

That would be correct, since there is no mention of different gears either way I assume the pilot is the same size but the OD changed.