Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Later ('85+?) front driveshaft disassembly?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dyeager535, Apr 21, 2007.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

First off, I better say that maybe this isn't a stock driveshaft. I'm not the person who bought the truck. :)

I have a front driveshaft that came off a 1991 3+3 one ton. (4L80E/205)

It only has about an inch of travel, which seems much shorter than what others say their stock ones are, roughly 3".

This driveshaft does not have a threaded portion for the seal. My understanding is that typically, you unthread the little cap at the slip yoke section, and the driveshaft will come apart. On this one, there is no seal, or threaded portion. There is a boot on it that apparently tries to seal it from dirt (appears factory, based on the type of clamps used) but when I pulled the boot loose, there was nothing there to unthread.

Kind of curious if you can take this type of shaft apart, or if you have to cut it? I can compress the shaft far enough to see the splines stick out the opposite end 1/8-1/4", and there is no c-clip or anything on it, so I'm not sure what keeps it from coming in half.

Anyone else dealt with one of these? Answer in post below. :)

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  2. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

did you try beating it apart? sounds like it's just stuck.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, as best I could at the time.

I figure I need to tie it down and hook the other end up to the truck. :)

Edit: So turns out I should have expected problems from a driveshaft coming from a stolen truck. CV Joint had been moved so far that the center section hit the protective ear on the flange, bending the ear. The Nylon impregnated caps actually started to walk out of the CV shaft.

Turns out that heat and beating the shaft finally allowed it to fall apart. There is NOTHING holding the later shafts from coming apart, except the boot, which is similar to a shock boot. No grease seal like on the earlier shafts. After getting all the gunk out of the splines, looks like the shaft has about 2" of travel, more than enough, at least for my purposes.

It's also "fine-splined", looks like 32-ish or so, and keyed.

Last edited: May 31, 2007