Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Later center bolt valve covers don't work with TPI

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by dyeager535, Feb 23, 2007.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, they can, just not right.

Yet another lesson learned, at least it wasn't too expensive.

Since I realized the MAF/oil filler issue, I decided I wanted a later model style oil fill, the screw in type.

At the last swap meet, picked up a nice pair of Vortec take offs.

Turns out the oil fill is at the rear driverside, which places the PCV at the drivers side front, opposite of what (my) TPI setup needs, PCV in back. I think even the passenger side breather is at the back too, which is wrong as well. :(

I wonder if the Corvette setups are similar to the Vortecs then, I know even the Vette TPI motors are somewhat backwards compared to Camaro ones.

Thinking I might run a longer line for PCV, but that sure makes it hard to reach the oil fill cap. The one I remove maybe twice a year if the truck is lucky lol.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Why not use valve covers from an 89 blazer. They are center bolt covers, screw on oil fill on drivers side front, breather is on the driver side rear, PCV is on the passenger side rear.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hmm, maybe I could combine them. :)

My breather is on the passenger side front, so I could keep the passenger side, just need the drivers side with the breather/PCV (same baffle setup internally) at the rear.

I'm sure you've got one to send me, right? :)

Maybe I'll ask in the parts wanted section. Thanks for the insight, I wondered about the older centerbolt valve covers!

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I do not have any to send you. I am looking for another driver side cover myself that uses the screw on oil fill cap. If anyone here has 2 of them Dorian gets the first and i could use the second one. I have several sets of the push on oil fill type though.

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That goes for '91 too.