Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Later model ORD Shackle flip and springs onto a 71?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grendel, Feb 3, 2004.

1. grendel

grendel 1/2 ton status

Howdy,
    My project plans just changed, as I purchased a 71 Jimmy.

Anyone know if lift springs and a ORD shackle flip from an 81 would fit this?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I think the shakle flip will work fine but I am guessing?
    The springpacks need to be mesured from eye to eye then from eye to centerbolt. If they are the same then they can be used /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Good Luck

3. grendel

grendel 1/2 ton status

Thanks, but I was hoping someone would have measurements for me!

I have a set of rear 4" lift and 56" long that I want to use.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

oh...I think I put 56" SuperLift 5" springs in my K5's rear. I will have to double check but I think that is waht I put in. I know the part number from Superlift was for a 73 and Up Chevy PickUp. Ya I think it was 56" cuz I remember eye to center bolt being 28".

5. grendel

grendel 1/2 ton status

Nice, thanks for the info. Those are the identical springs I have for the rear. What did you use in the front? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Howdy,
    My project plans just changed, as I purchased a 71 Jimmy.

Anyone know if lift springs and a ORD shackle flip from an 81 would fit this?

[/ QUOTE ]

The springs will fit, the shackle flip will NOT.

I'm running a pair of '89K5 springs on the back of my '72. It's a nice combo by the way.....the late model springs are a lot softer from the factory than the 1st Gens ever were.

The ORD Shackleflip will not work though, the later model frames are narrower, so the bracket has more "offset" to compensate. If you install them, the rear spring mounts will be too far apart on a 1st Gen. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

You can just swap the 2nd gen springs in without any modification at all Greg? I thought you had to move the hangers for 56". /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have Rancho 4" up front.
    My Superlift rear springs just bolted in with no mods required /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    You can just swap the 2nd gen springs in without any modification at all Greg? I thought you had to move the hangers for 56". /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what you are talking about. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

FRONT springs are different lengths between 1st Gen and 2nd Gen, but the REARS are the same length....

10. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The ORD Shackleflip will not work though, the later model frames are narrower, so the bracket has more "offset" to compensate. If you install them, the rear spring mounts will be too far apart on a 1st Gen. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Greg, it is my understanding that the frames are close to the same width, it is the difference in OEM spring hangers on the rear that is the concern. I compared the hangers on my '77 parts truck to my '71 Burb and the '77 hangers hold the spring away from the frame 1.25" further.

This is why the pre-72 spring perch distance is 40" and the 73-later is 42.5". /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I suppose it is possible to use the later flip on a "1st Gen" if you used the later front spring hanger and have the correct spring perch distance. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. Greg72

a valid correction.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

The springs are further apart, but because of hanger differences, not frame differences.

/forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

12. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Those last couple posts went over my head for some reason. Must still have my mind on accounting. So the 2nd gen rear springs will bolt right up with no problems when I throw my echobit shackle flip on there?

Sorry, I'm in my own little world. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

13. grendel

grendel 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have Rancho 4" up front.
    My Superlift rear springs just bolted in with no mods required /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You have 4" Rancho springs for what year/model?

14. grendel

grendel 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Those last couple posts went over my head for some reason. Must still have my mind on accounting. So the 2nd gen rear springs will bolt right up with no problems when I throw my echobit shackle flip on there?

Sorry, I'm in my own little world. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My understanding is that the rear springs will fit without any mods.

The spring to frame spacing is different from the 1st gen to the next gen.

Your shackle flip won't work without changing the front spring mount and the spring pads on the axle.

For me, I've already cut off the spring pads from my axle. I may just get this to work...

Now I have to figure out what to do on the front. I have some '81 6" lift springs I was hoping to use...

15. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

All K5 rear springs are 52" long. Some 3/4-ton's and all (?) 1-ton's came with 56" leaves that you would have to move the rear hanger back to fit.

88 and up trucks came with 63" leaves.

16. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Thank you Dan.

17. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

i used 2nd gen spring hangars on my 71 frame. the frame holes don't line up. they are close but not close enough. i had to weld up the stock holes and redrill new ones based on the newwer hangar ones.a couple things to think about are with 2nd gen hangars you get 2 more inches of lift compared to the 1st gen because the later ones are longer. a 4 inch lift for a 1st gen uses 6 inch 2nd gen rear springs so make sure the shackle flip will work for the lift you want! it's easy enough to redrill the frame but if you use 2nd gen shackle flip you also need 2nd gen front hangars also if you already narrowed the perches on your axle you might be money and time ahead buying a 1st gen shackle flip and still using 56" springs /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Dont mean to steel the post but if I am going to add a 4 lift spring on my 72 then I need a 6in lift spring for a secongen blazer. Im thinking of going with bds springs and dont want to have the springs came with 2in block problem I dont want the 2in block that I have read some poeple didnt account for.
    Thanks.

19. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

As far as I know needing the extra spring height in the rear has to do with a few things.

1) The springs were designed with a p/u in mind which has less weight in the back end (if we are talking about a hard top it makes even more of a difference).

2) The front wheel opening is much larger than the rear. Most people like the look of "equal tire gap" so the back needs to sit up a bit higher than the front.

I don't think it has much to do with the spring hanger differences.

Most everyone I have seen with a 1st gen with 4" in front and 6" springs in rear and has been happy with it. I have also seen a few 6" front and 8" rear that the owners were happy with.

20. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

who has 8in rear springs for a first gen?