Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Latte & Espresso??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tiger9297, Mar 6, 2007.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I go into a coffee shop pretty much every day. I love coffee. Probably drink too much but I usually switch to decaf after lunch. Anyway, I go in and see this latte and espresso but I'm always kind of afraid to order this stuff. I even saw a sign in a coffee shop once that said: "Espresso- If you don't know what it is, you won't like it". So my question is - what is a latte and espresso? I want to know if I'm missing out on something.

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

It is a fancy name for strong coffee with sugar and milk already in it. Espressos generally do not have any sugar just black black coffee and milk that has been foamed with steam.

I too drink coffee all day but I do not switch to decaf you quiter:D

Ira

3. NewUser

NewUser 1/2 ton status

if im not mistaken espresso is about the same thing as a shot of coffee with the strength of 2 pots of coffee:eek1: ...it will definitely wake you up....i drank 4 once....last time ill ever do that....i was awake for 2 days straight :haha:

4. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

Expresso-Super hot pressurized water forced through freshly ground coffee. Served in little cups (1/3 the size of a normal coffee cup) meant to be sipped, is strong.

Latte-a shot of expresso mixed with steamed milk. Not strong or tasty really. There are a lot of flavored varieties like vanilla, etc. The most popular being the mocha which has usually two shots of expresso a shot of chocolate syrup, and steamed milk. A nice treat once in a while.

In my opinion if you are used to American coffee you may not like it because it is different than that. Try them for a change, just don't think of them as a substitute for coffee.

5. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Two words meaning: "your paying 5 bucks for .30 cents worth of joe"

6. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

If I drink "leaded" all day I have a number of issues- 1) won't sleep at night. 2) spend all day peeing, get dehydrated, and get a headache.

I figure the decaf is coffee flavored water so the "leaded" dehydrates and the decaf hydrates. Good logic huh?

So, since you drink it all day do you feel a little guilty? Sometimes I think I might be overindulging a little. Man it's good though. Have you ever had coffee with chicory?? Really strong if you are not used to it but if you ever develope a taste for it you'll love it. IIRC Chicory was a coffee substitute used in louisianna back in the day when, for whatever reason, coffee was difficult to get. Once coffee became available they were so used to it that they mixed it with coffee.

Yea, I know.........totally useless facts but the chicory is good. :D

7. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

8. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

EXACTLY!!!!! That stuff is goooooooood. Funny thing is, it used to be a cheap substitute and now you pay MORE for it.

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

As a matter of fact I have had Chicory in my coffee when I was down in New Orleans back in 1997. It was pretty good stuff.

No I do not feel guilty about drinking "leaded" all day. It does dehydrate me and I drink water quite a bit also in the evening. The problem is when I go home and drink some brews then I get really dhydrated:o . I do notice that when I do not drink enough water I am really sluggish and always tired.

Ira

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Cafe Du Monde has the best beignets in the world. If your ever in New Orleans, you have to stop into Cafe Du Monde and get a cup of chicory coffee and an order of beignet's with powdered sugar on top. Damn im hungry now.
    -Harrison

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

That is where I went I could not remember the name of it. That is also where I had my first and only beignet.:D

MMMMMMMM scrumdidlyumptious

Ira