Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LAWN MOWER PROJECT

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by CHEVY 4WD, Feb 11, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Ok I have a idea /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I got a OLD lawnmower that the deck is haven problems so the plan was to cut it off and play around with it. Then I got this new idea since the wheels dont use studs and lug nut I want to take a plasma cutter and cut out the out side of the wheels leaving just the inner part. Then drill 6 holes and weld washer on the back sides of the holes for strengh then put in 6 sutds and go get some chevrolet or toyota wheels with around a 225 75 15 on them. I know ill have to cut the feners pretty much all the way off but those would be HUGE on a lawn mower. Then I was thinken of doen the same on the front with 21in 4wheeler tires. What do yall think? COOL or I should stop getting ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I'm not going to bother asking "why" because I do the samecrap for no pparent reason. I think if you put the larger tires on like that the engine will lug down too much and pop like a ballon after a short time. A little fender triming may be good.

John

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Well I do have a reason It just seem cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    But I though the same thing as you about the the extremely high gears but its a 5speed mower and Ive always just put in in 5th because its geared pretty low and all the other gears are useless unless you want to go REALLY slow. So what im thinking is that i might have to shift now /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I might not ever get to 5th except for mabe down a road but I think it will work

4. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i dont know if i'd put bigger tires on one, but i do know how to have fun with an old mower....
    i had one in the lab i used to work at that was retired from its duties, so we stripped the deck, ran some high octane gas, and had a fun wheelie mower...
    everyone laughed at it at first, but after 5 minutes of watching they were begging for a ride
    enjoy
    [​IMG]

5. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

oh yeah and you better have a welder if you want to pop some wheelies like that on pavement...
    i can think of at least 3-4 times when the whole front end snapped, the stamped steel pieces with spot welds didnt hold up...

we just ran a full bead around it and it'd go for almost a year of abuse before it finally snapped again....
    we werent about to put any money into it other than gas, and that things been poppin up like that for 3 years now

i guess my title Pavment Pounder is fitting if i think about it

6. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

That is great! My grandfather has an old mower that he has had for many years. I used to dump the clutch in it and it would do wheelies. One time I did it and hit a tree with the front tires in the air and it threw me off. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i wanted to go into lawn mower racing..now that stuff is fun!! and i have a pic here of a tractor with a custom frame that gives it a lot of lift..with atv tires on it..its really cool!! its even got stackes coming form under the hood and up!! i got an old sears craftsman lawn mower with a missing deck that i rock climb with over mild rocks aroud the house with..it felxes pretty good up front but i want ot come up with a custom suspension for the rear ot make it flex..yea they are a lot of fun!! also if you change the pulle you can make them go a lot faster to.

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I did that to our old Wheel Horse tractor. It started with a 6HP motor to a 10HP Briggs. After we retired it from mowing, I pulled the deck and had a fun machine to tow the spreaders and sweepers around. I found out it was a great wheely machine too, until I ended up flipping it on top of me (luckily it wasn't too heavy.....but my leg did get burned on the muffler /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif). I had thought about putting some sort of wheelie bar on it to keep it from landing on me in the event of too much clutch grip but completely retired it not too long after so I didn't bother.

9. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

hmm, got 2 snappers in the backyard without decks, both run, got em for free cuz they wouldnt start, whaddya know, new gas and some ether... now we just need rubber wheels for em to make em move...and a spare craftsman 12 horse out there too for CHEVY4WD's mower...

10. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

12HP HA 25HP when in done /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Confedneck

I wonder what that DREMEL head job was worth on the snapper?

12. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Well the lawnmower project got delayed BUT has finnally gotten started /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif We(me and confedneck) took off the deck(4 pins) and took it out WOW!!! that has to be one of the stupidest fun cheap things you can do!!! its all stock for now(except for the decks gone) but it did half way decent in the mud it goes though water great and crawls REALLY good we took it though some spillways with ease the water was up just over the frame and it never had a bit of trouble except for when we rolled down it in neutral and hit the water at like 15MPH /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif but then it would just stall out because of the carb flooding out. Ill keep yall posted on the LAWN MOWER BUILD /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Confedneck

yeah, we was out controllin the creep and flexin with the 3 wheel motion... thats a muddin beast... LOL whaddabuncha hillbillies... LOL LOL bwahahaa

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea...when me and my friend who lives behind me get bored we bust out the tractors and go rock crawlin lol...i have this old sears tractor thats missing the deck and im ganan do something to it..paint it...change the pullyes and make it faster...wheels/tires...itll be neat