Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lawn Tractors - Garden Tractors - Edumacate me Please!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fubeca, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

So we have about 1 acre of gently sloping grass with few trees and a 85' by 26' driveway. So after 1 year of pushing a mower around, and shoveling the driveway - I'm ready for a change.

What should I be looking for in a riding mower? What about a snowblade? If I go used what should I be looking out for?

I'm pretty lost in the world of lawn tractors - is there an attachment for the K-5 that will mow the lawn? :haha:

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Even though I'm young, I have some experience.

Get a model that you can get a lot of attachments for. Our OLD johne deere lawn tractor had a snow plow, snowblower, rototillar, lawnmower, and something else I think.

The snowplow blade on ours was really strong, we literaly ran into rocks, dirt piles with it at its highest speed to move the dirt, and it never bent the blade.

The lawnmower is good, make sure you get a wide one so its faster.

Get a comfortable seat-ours was old and used, it leaned and was hard foam. We had 1 acre of grass, and it hurt the butt after a while.

Good luck.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I just did a lot of research before I bought my lawn tractor a couple of months ago. I settled on a 17.5 HP Yardworks(made by MTD) powered by a Briggs and Stratton motor. It has a 42" cutting deck and can be equipped with a couple of different attachments. It also came with a 4 year warranty, which is double the industry standard. EVERYONE I talked to recommended a B & G engine, unless you are in the market for and can afford a John Deere or a Kubota.

I guess the biggest thing to consider is that if you're hoping to use your tractor for more than mowing the lawn and pushing a bit of snow, you'll have to move up to a garden tractor. They usually have a minimum of 20 HP and have PTO-powered attachments like rototillers and such. They also weigh more and as a result are able to push and pull heavier weights. SOunds great, eh? Well, get ready to shell out a good chunk of change for the bigger units. I payed $1400 CDN for mine and the 22 HP version with the PTO setup was about $3500!!!!!:eek1:

Anyhow, I have over 2 acres of lawn and my tractor has worked out fine. Most of the smaller tractors have an 18" turning radius, which works out good for me seeing that I have LOTS of big trees to get around. When the time comes that I need to start plowing snow I'll probably have to buy some tire chains and a counterweight kit for the front.

Hope that helps, brother.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Bummer that you're all the way over there. I just saw 2 John Deere's for free on Craig's List in Jersey last week. A little one and a big one. If I had a place to store them I would've been all over them...

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

buy a K5, and put a 7.5' blade on it. should clear your driveway, your friends and family's driveways just fine. then just buy whatever mower will cut the grass.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Beater's right..

I have had many riding mowers and "lawn tractors" over the 20 years I've lived here and had to mow 4 acres of grass...everything from 6hp to the 20HP "YardMan" with a hydrostat tranny I have now...(which I rescued from the dumpster at the huge warehouse my brother works at--they used it to mow 11 acres,in 2 years the front wheels fell off,I had to fix the front end--a wimpy square tube sheet metal affair with nylon kingpin bushings! :surepal: --they just grabbed another one off the shelf,and wrote the one I got off as a loss! :eek1: )..

I learned early riding mowers are best for mowing--period!..the first one my dad bought when we moved and built here was an 11hp Mongomery Wards riding mower that looked like a tractor--but it had a sheet metal frame and a single cylinder briggs motor..he got the snowblade attachment and chains and wheel weights for it..it had a manual 3 speed "peerless" transaxle..it lasted 2 days in the first snow we had,and the gears were all stripped!--they just replaced the entire transaxle!..

I never used it much for plowing after that--it was a joke--it was way too light to push more than 3" of snow,and once you piled it up,it couldn't move it...and you were on it constantly to keep up with the storm,freezing your a$$ off!..A snowthrower might have been a better choice,but in my experience they suck too--always chucking the belts off in the middle of a storm,and clogging with wet heavy snow..a PITA!..

I have inherited a nice 5' plow from my nephew's Quad he sold--its like new--but I've decided against putting in on the Yard-Man--it will probably not push that wide a plow ,even with chains and weights--you really need 4WD,a lawn tractor just aint got the weight to push snow in my opinion,unless you get 2" storms,they are just a waste of time..(the 4WD quads DO plow very well though!--but if you lunch the tranny or clutch it gets expensive fast..)

In 1987 I bought a 1971 GMC K1500 with a plow for 500 bucks--I have never looked back!--I paid for the truck twice in the first bad storm,sat on my ass with the heater blasting,sipping hot coffee!..I've owned 3 other GMC's since,and I would rather lose my last remaining testicle than be without a plow truck around here now,especially if winter is like last years,when we had 25 storms,and several were 2+feet--one was 39"!! :eek1: --and 9' total for the season!..

I'd say buy a lawn tractor to mow the lawn!--and an old K5,K10,or K20,30--with a plow for the snow removal..unless you have a dinky driveway that a full size truck will be difficult to manuver--even then I'd say get a toyota or a jeep CJ or something--a lawn tractor,especially today wimpy ones,wont last long as a snowplow--even the hydrostat tranny's croak quickly ,I've burned many of them up..

The older IHC "Cub Cadet" or old John Deere or Simplicity and Jacobson tractors from the 50's and 60 were a lot more rugged--but are getting hard to find parts for,and still aren't big enough to do the job sometimes..a Bobcat is the best snow removal implement you can get for tight quarters,but even a beaten used one here goes for 5 grand..

2WD farm tractors aren't that great either,and sell for similar prices..my 600 series Ford Bucket loader I had was cumbersome,hard to steer,and its dinky bucket took forever to clear my driveway--and even with chains and loaded tires,it still spun its wheels more than it pushed snow!..I sold it--I dont miss it very much..only when I'd like to lift a cab off a frame,or a motor into my truck!.. :crazy:

7. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Pretty much a case of - You get what you pay for - when you buy new.
    Try and get the biggest engine you can afford.
    Wide mowing is not necessarily best when you have to manouvere around trees, gardens etc. A few inches smaller deck will mean smaller engine, will mean less money.
    Hydrostatic transmission is much more user-friendly. Change transmission oil each 2 years at least.
    American Lawn tractors are best and WheelHorse, Simplicity& John Deere would be the ones to look at.
    JD don't make all their own stuff any more so look closely at the smaller ones for build quality.
    Don't ask a lawn tractor to push snow. Petrol engine, V-belt drives and hydro transmission dont add up to a snow-plough.
    Diesel power is better - Kubota, JD, Iseki Yanmar (who supply engines to JD) are all good too.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

maneuverability is the sole reason i chose the K5, rather than a K10/20/30. i have learned using my K20, and my uncle's 2 K20s that he had previously. i have driven a K5 once with a blade on it, it was a '78 K5 my grandpa bought "new" in 1999, but i never dropped the blade on that one. the K20 and its wheelbase are what is familiar to me, i can put it in places where alot of people are afraid to put their Hondas. its all about knowing your machine, and knowing its capabilities and its limits.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

All K's..

Despite my owning a few first generation K5's,and a 2wd 75 K5, all the plow trucks I've had were full sized longbeds,first one was the 71 GMC K1500,then the 74 K20,and my latest one the 82 K20 thats a diesel..never had a plow on any of the K5's,though I'd have prefered them due to the shorter wheelbase,because they will manuver easier and fit into tighter spots easier..but thats not to say the full sized trucks were cumbersome by any means..

Despite the overall length of a 8'bed truck,I can get my K20 into places when plowing many of my customers would look away or close their eyes ,like they were about to see me smash into whatever I was trying to aviod!..they are remarkably agile due to the extreme angles the front wheels turn to at full lock...I can easily turn my K20's around in places my 79 C10 would require a 3 point turn without stopping or backing up!--.

I've used a friends Suburban to plow too,its suprising for such an ark how manuverable it was..I find the longer wheelbase trucks plow better in parking lots,where your trying to push snow a long distance in a straight line..a K5 will tend to slide sideways quite a bit easier than a 8' bed truck will--the long wheelbase and extra weight helps a lot to keep it in line..

I just took my 82 K20 out today for the first time in at least a month..its going to need some fixing before winter..tranny lines,oil cooler lines are getting crispy and old,master cylinder rear cylinder leaks(junk,no rear brakes! :doah: )...and something feels like its dragging or binding up when going slow forward or backwards..not the brakes dragging--I felt the drums and rotors,they were not hot after a 5 mile ride,and the T-case and Diff have sufficient fluid in them.. :confused:

I'm hoping its not a transfer case problem( it wont come out of 4wd,so it very well could be--been driving it with the hubs unlocked since I got it unless I need 4wd!)--or a Gov Loc about to croak, or maybe someone welded the spiders??(never had the cover off yet!)..I have a spare T-case,just in case the one in it does croak...and I hope tranny isn't the culpruit,since it was recently rebuilt just before I got the truck(shifts fine,no slippage).no noises in the drive train either,its a bit baffling.. :confused:

Hoping its nothing too serious..hasn't gotten any worse since I've had it.. The draglink ends are loose,and I never did finish the rot repairs properly--just screwed and brazed patches over the rotted door bottoms,and where the gas tank doors are in the fenders-,and primered them..can't afford bondo right now!..I feel bad,cause the truck is decent and deserves better care..

In spite of all its sins,I had nearly forgotten how much I like driving it,its been so long since I used it last!-I miss it--but in a few months I bet I cant wait to get OUT of it again,after plowing for 6 months again.. :doah: :crazy: