Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

laws in Illinois about Junk cars

Discussion in 'Midwest Region' started by 1979jimmy350, May 4, 2004.

1. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

There is a 1979 Jimmy that is in cherry condition that is owned by my school. They are looking to get ride of it. The car has no title and is missing one VIN plate. I just want the car for the body because it has no rust on it. What would the laws be concerning this. Can I just use the VIN number off of the my 79 which I would be replacing the body on. What options do I have?

2. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I think you might be able to do this, or something similar. I would suggest calling the DMV and telling them the situation, they can tell you what options you have.

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

what i would do is find a VIN and title and all that off of a wrecked one or somethin. then slap it on there and get it in your name or whatnot. may not be legal 100%, but what they dont know cant hurt them. Just as long as it isn't stolen, i would say you should be ok.

NITRO

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

If the school owns it all they have to do is file for a lost title. Depending on what county you live in, there is no vehicle inspection you have to go thru..it's all just paperwork /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Check with an Illinois License Facility, you may be able to get the new title in your name. That way the title is only bought once instead of twice. I always use the VIN tag from the body that I junk, that way the title, plates, and insurance all switch over and nobody knows any different. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Might want to be careful if it was a manufacturer donor car. I know our local trade school gets cars donated by Ford and GM for the auto-tech and auto-body classes to use.

These are new cars, usually damaged when being delivered to dealerships (ie: body dings, busted windows, vandalized etc... Ones that can't be repaired and sold as new) Most of these cars are donated under contract stating they cannot be sold and must be destroyed when the school is finished with them. School does not get titles for them and VIN plates are removed.

Don't know about the laws where you are but in most states you can get in BIG trouble swapping VIN plates if you get caught. You may wan't to see if you can get a bill of sale then try one of those companies that will title a vehicle (check the net, theres two big ones, Ones in Arizona and the other is in New Hampshire or thereabouts.) Believe it costs about $200 but you get a good clean title when you are done and its a LEGAL title. Just need a good bill of sale and thats it (just make sure the schoold doesn't specify it's parts only or something....)

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My high school had a van crushed a few years ago that was donated by GM. It had 25 miles on it from pulling it in and out of the shop and it never ran for more than 45 seconds at a time so the plugs were so fouled it hardly ran.

Last time I saw it, it was on a flatbed, on its way to be scrapped since it was a Chevy Venture and nobody in my class wanted to learn how to work on that POS anyway.

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

no body has said this yet... ask the school about buying it and see if it does have a title. If it was a donated vehicle by law they can not sale it. The Jimmy we got in HS from GM came with no driveshafts (like thats going to stop us from driving it!) We picked up some universals and made square driveshafts for it with steel we found in the weld shop. That thing has 100K miles on it and never left the school grounds!