Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lay-Offs Suck!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigjbear, Dec 2, 2002.

1. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Well, I got my WARN letter this morning. For those that don't know that is the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act . It means the company you are woking for will be laying off 10% of its workforce or over a certain # of people (over 100). Any way, I should be getting layed off in the middle of Feb. I won't bitch too much because those that are in this biz know that lay-offs are part of the game /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifBUT THEY STILL SUCK! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif OK, I'm done venting.

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That sucks bud. Sorry to hear it, I hope there's something out there you can pick up soon...

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

what line of work are you in?

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

profile says...."avionics inspector "

5. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

Friday is my last day. I was outsourced. Right now I know people that have been asked to show the Taiwanees how to build and test our equiptment so thay can move production to Taiwan.

I had a job with the company that is taking over my job.. Untill my VP asked me how it was going right after he notified me I was being laid off... He didn't like what I had to say.

He should be glad I havent peed in his coffee cup. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sorry to hear it Jim. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm hoping to get called back soon...but who knows how long that will last. Any job to do with aircraft is pretty shaky these days!/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Rene

7. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

We just laid off 25 people in our shop. Not projecting good things for next year, either. Oil and gas industry is like that.

John

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

That sucks...I got layed off in Oct. from Alamo rent-a-car...but they didn't just lay off, they shut down all the local locations.

9. Chris87K5

Chris87K5 1/2 ton status

I'm sure my situation is not the same as yours but I like lay-offs.......We have voluntary layoffs every year right after christmas and I love it. They let us work 1 day a week to pay for our benefits and stuff. I actually make more money when I am laid off than I do when I'm working.

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

1st let me say thanks for the support!
    2nd I'm in avation, like tRusty said its a shaky place to be. Hell, its never been very stable, but its worse now, the price you pay for doing what you love. I'm trying to get out of comerical avation and back into milatry avation, its where the jobs are right now.
    3rd "K5's R Cool" I know exactly what you are talking about. Ford starts with layoffs at the top of the seniority list when they offer a voluntary lay off. They still get a large % of their pay to not come to work.